Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Amex's Oasis jail -- finally!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of Amex's Oasis jail -- finally!

A few days ago my "Oasis" Optima card hit its one year birthday.    Today I called Amex and they offered me three product change options:  Blue, Blue Sky, and Clear.   For whatever reason, they couldn't offer membership rewards with Clear, so I chose Blue.   

I'm glad Amex followed through on what they promised, and I'm happy I wasn't axed at the 366 day mark.

But ya know, if it still happens, I definitely won't be surprised.    A little bummed perhaps, but not surprised.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Out of Amex's Oasis jail -- finally!

Clear isn't eligible for Membership Rewards because it has its own rewards program --$25 card for 2500 points.

If you don't want to fool with figuring out what to do with the MR points (like I'm trying to do), then go for Clear. It's an either/ or thing.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats. I got my Oasis change to Clear few weeks ago. I am not sure why they could not give membership rewards to clear? Is it because it is cash back rewards card? Did they give you any cash advance limit? What is the new interest rate on blue? Did you ask for CLI? I am glad to be out of Oasis jail too. I know how it feels. They told me change to Clear would take place on 3/23 when my next statement cuts.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how did the Oasis work for you both, did you apply for an AMEX and they said... you still owe us some coin from way back?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked why the Clear didn't come with Membership Rewards and was told that during some product changes, you might not get the all of the same promos as new accounts.  I'm ok with that.. Blue doesn't have an annual fee, and while Clear's "no fees ever" is appealing in print, I've learned my lesson when it comes to going over limit and/or slipping up with lates. 

Did not ask for CLI.   Was told it would remain the same as the Optima, and would be subject to increases after 90 days.

The interest rate is prime + 6.99.

I never do cash advances, so didn't bother to ask about that.

Blue is more than I would've hoped for 13 months ago.   I'll enjoy it and hope it lasts.

Message Edited by mjgray on 03-09-2009 02:59 PM
Message Edited by mjgray on 03-09-2009 03:01 PM
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So how did the Oasis work for you both, did you apply for an AMEX and they said... you still owe us some coin from way back?

They periodically send out letters to people who've defaulted on cards, offering to restore membership if you pay off the old debt in full.   They then issue a basic blue Optima card (high APR, no rewards) with a CLI of 1/2 of your old debt.   After one year with no screwups, you can then either apply for a new account or request a product change.  

For me it was a good deal.  Regained a lot of account history (they restore and report your original membership date).    

I'm pretty sure they're still offering this to folks.    

Message 5 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Clear isn't eligible for Membership Rewards because it has its own rewards program --$25 card for 2500 points.

If you don't want to fool with figuring out what to do with the MR points (like I'm trying to do), then go for Clear. It's an either/ or thing.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok.. thanks HTSU.   After seeing that Clear's APR was a bit higher, I didn't dig any deeper re: the rewards.

On a goofy, superficial level, the appearance of the Blue card is more appealing to me.   I've heard Clear described as "bug on a windshield".

Was that you?  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, might have been, now that I think about it!

I have a Blue now, handled ever-so-cautiously. Whoever prints the cards glued the blue square on just a little crooked. It's driving me crazy. Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU -- how long have you had your Blue?   I remember you saying that you were planning on applying for one, but can't recall when that actually happened.    

Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

App'd a couple of weeks ago, got it about 8 days ago, finally got the courage to use it this weekend. Smiley Very Happy

My Gold card's birthday is coming up, and I need to burn up my points and close it before the $145 fee hits. Free the first year, but after that, sorry.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.