Outdoorsy peeps

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Outdoorsy peeps

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Howaboutthat wrote:

It's been said that roughly only 20% of all cardholders pay in full every month. ( I got that directly from this site) so 9.99% is a good on Cabelas branded products for the rest of us. Most card holders carry a balance if that article is true. I'm not speaking about the 2% rewards. 

Bring up a credit card on myFico, mention the apr  then ask why its not popular you are bound to get its rewards value mentioned and compared. Most people here want cc for its value to their spend not just to have.  Im a hybridSmiley Wink

The articles I see claim that the percentage of cardholders who routinely PIF is just about 50% although that figure could be specific to rewards cards

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

It's not a bad card, @Howaboutthat, but looks like the appeal is very much a niche market.  I would guess that the lack of discussion depends on who shops often enough at Cabela's to get that card as well as who doesn't have better options already in their wallet.

I think part of the lack of appeal is that it's most useful for Cabela's purchases where it gets that 2% and has the lowest APR.  Also it pays for credits on Cabela's Club Points, not in cash-back, and that is disappointing to many who want control over where they spend rewards.  That was one argument against the recent new Verizon card that pays in Verizon dollars.  I used to have a Dillard's department store co-branded AMEX credit card that worked the same way.  There are other examples, but that is a common strategy used by lenders in store-branded or co-branded cards. 

The 9.99% APR is decent but moreso if you're comparing that rate to the large bank card rates.  Credit unions can often beat that depending on an applicant's credit score.  And as you said, the 9.99% only applies for store purchases.  Out of store purchases are either 15.24%, 18.24%, or 24.24%.   Meanwhile, my PenFed Power Cash Rewards pays 2% rewards (at Cabelas and everywhere else) and has an APR of 9.99% on all purchases.  And my AOD FCU Visa Signature pays 3% rewards (at Cabela's and everywhere else) and has an APR of 7.49% on all purchases.  And I have a local credit union card that pays 1% on everything (but not the extra 1% at Cabela's.)  However, it has an even-lower APR of 8.50%.  I've occassionally seen some of our members attest to their sub-10% APRs even with the large lenders.   This post from @JR_TX showed an impressive permanent 6.99% APR on his Discover card, which would earn 1% at Cabela's also.   

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Lowest-Discover-APR-you-all-have/m-p/6160913#M1749968

A quick websearch finds websites listing all the store-branded cards that Synchrony and Comenity Banks issue, somewhere in the range of 116 and 163 cards respectively. Smiley Surprised   If you look up the lists, most of them don't get a lot of discussion here.  I'm even familiar with a lot of the retailers but apparently all those cards have a narrow appeal.

All that said, if you shop a lot at Cabela's and it's a more attractive card than what you currently carry, by all means go for it!   Tell us about how you like it.  We're all about improving our own individual credit options and credit files as well as sharing information about the journey.  Thanks for bringing up the Cabela's card for discussion.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 20
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

REI card is a much better "outdoor sporting goods" card in my opinion.

• 5% back on REI purchases
  • 1% everything else (2% for mobile wallet purchases)
  • cell phone protection
  • no AF, no FTF

Only downside is that REI doesn't sell hunting or fishing gear.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 13 of 20
Howaboutthat
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to all for the great and thorough answers. 

Message 14 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

REI card is a much better "outdoor sporting goods" card in my opinion.

• 5% back on REI purchases
  • 1% everything else (2% for mobile wallet purchases)
  • cell phone protection
  • no AF, no FTF

Only downside is that REI doesn't sell hunting or fishing gear.

IME about the only popular outdoor recreational activity where there is some significant overlap between REI and Cabela's is camping/hiking and to a lesser extent kayaking. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just from a rewards perspective, the Ducks Unlimited card offered 5% on sporting goods.  They recently changed the rewards structure to new applicants but the people who were grandfathered in still get 5%.

Message 16 of 20
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Howaboutthat wrote:

It's been said that roughly only 20% of all cardholders pay in full every month. ( I got that directly from this site) so 9.99% is a good on Cabelas branded products for the rest of us. Most card holders carry a balance if that article is true. I'm not speaking about the 2% rewards. 

I can't imagine a scenario where I am financing things I am buying at Cabela's, and JUST Cabela's (I have an Amazon Store Card where I can do 6/12 month financing for purchases over $500/1000- most anything that would cost big $$$ at an outdoor store can be bought on Amazon). The APR outside of Cabela's is nothing special.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 17 of 20
amkari
New Contributor

I like my Cabelas card BUT they only gave me a $300 limit so it gets very little usage. 

I have better rewards elsewhere so Cabelas really only sees use when they offer extra point value for certain items... if they're giving me 20% more points on something I want, then it goes on Cabelas. Lol

Mar 2012: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Oct 2012: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Aug 2020: FICO 8: EQ 690, TU 685, EX 688
700s or Bust!
Message 18 of 20
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just from a rewards perspective, the Ducks Unlimited card offered 5% on sporting goods.  They recently changed the rewards structure to new applicants but the people who were grandfathered in still get 5%.

Ya, I'm bummed they nerfed that card for new applicants. It used to be at the very top of my wish list. 5% back at cabelas, REI, and every other sporting goods store, PLUS 5% cack at gas stations! With no AF. That card was unbeatable. I envy those who got grandfathered!

I really could've used that card this year... with COVID trapping me indoors for so long, and making me daydream about outdoor adventures, I spent probably 5 or 6 grand on new sporting goods.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 19 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ya, I'm bummed they nerfed that card for new applicants. It used to be at the very top of my wish list. 5% back at cabelas, REI, and every other sporting goods store, PLUS 5% cack at gas stations! With no AF. That card was unbeatable. I envy those who got grandfathered!

I really could've used that card this year... with COVID trapping me indoors for so long, and making me daydream about outdoor adventures, I spent probably 5 or 6 grand on new sporting goods.

I recently got a Peloton bike and used my Costco card. A boring 1% cash back and no 0% promo...but the sort of purchase on which a two-year extended warranty could come in handy.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.