Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over paid on CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over paid on CC

I paid a credit card down to $0.  Then I went to the store and return an item that was bought on the credit card.  Now my CC is showing $-8.50.  Ops!  Will this affect my score once the card reports?  Debating if I can leave the negative balance as is for best Fico scoring... or if I need to go buy something before the closing date. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Over paid on CC

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid a credit card down to $0.  Then I went to the store and return an item that was bought on the credit card.  Now my CC is showing $-8.50.  Ops!  Will this affect my score once the card reports?  Debating if I can leave the negative balance as is for best Fico scoring... or if I need to go buy something before the closing date. 

a negative balance will be reports as $0 and have the same effect on your scores as a $0 balance.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had similar experiences on the Amazon Prime Store Card by Synchrony and AMEX BCE. I believe that if the statement closes while the balance is still negative, the card company just reports your balance at zero to the credit bureaus.

The negative balance remains until you buy something else, at which point it is cancelled out (by the value of the items you buy).

Hope this helps. But things might differ from card to card, so you might want to share which card you did this on, and maybe someone with a similar experience on that card can weigh in too.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card is a Capital One. 

Thank you both for your replys. 

Message 4 of 9
driftless
Valued Contributor

I have overpaid Cap One and they report it as zero. FYI - if you don't use the card and the overpayment remains after a week or so they will mail you a check to zero out your account.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 9
core
Valued Contributor

I can also confirm they report as zero.  They will eventually send a check, but that's not going to be until at least after your _next_ statement after the initial credit balance statement, so I wouldn't worry about that.  I'm quite sure you'll spend 8 bucks before then. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No it wont. I had a fee cards appear as -$X.00 because of whatever reason

My Marvel and Amazon prime cards typically show negative balances because they post the X% Cash back as a statement credit at the end of every month and i typically pay off my cards before they post.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It won't change your fico score.  I paid 125,00 more than I needed to on one of my Cap One cards.  It just showed the (125.00) and never changed my score. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Have this issue currently with Sychrony for Walmart because somehow they miscalculated my first payment last month, so when I paid again to get the balance to zero they corrected it sometime later. Did not effect report.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.