Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlimit credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overlimit credit card

I made a silly mistake and went over my credit limit. Before it was caught, It was already on my statement. I have a personal and business AMEX card and silly me I used my personal for a huge expense for my business and went over by $5. How is this going to effect my profile and future inquires? I paid half the balance but I wish I caught this early because I'm really stressing now.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Overlimit credit card

Honestly, I thought you were going to say $5K. Just pay your statement balance in full to include the $5 and IMO it's all good. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex cards are flexible limit cards. Not a big deal.

Message 3 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I made a silly mistake and went over my credit limit. Before it was caught, It was already on my statement. I have a personal and business AMEX card and silly me I used my personal for a huge expense for my business and went over by $5. How is this going to effect my profile and future inquires? I paid half the balance but I wish I caught this early because I'm really stressing now.

I agree with the other comments, there's nothing to worry about. (Assuming you've paid it.) But I want to add something:

I found out--accidentally--that Amex will *let* you go over your limit! With no penalties, no fees, no boo-boo marks on your account, etc. I was sitting around one night playing with the Amex app on my phone (if I remember correctly--it's been months, so I could be wrong!), and there's a feature like 'how much can I spend?'  While in one of my credit card accounts, I accidentally entered a figure with an extra zero. In other words, instead of $1,000 (or whatever) I put $10,000 (or whatever). And it said, sure, no problem! I remember posting about it at the time, because afterward I actually looked up on their site how that works, and I pasted in their blurb about it. Among other things, it says that although they may temporarily increase your spending power higher than your limit, this does NOT mean your limit has been permanently increased.

Look around the Amex site and you'll find what I'm talking about. Bottom line, assuming there are no hidden things we don't know about (like a history of late payments), there should be nothing to worry about. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

In 2019 I took a $13k BBP up to about $40k.

I did get a little "gentle reminder" call a few days before the ~$27k minimum payment was due: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Business-Credit/Amex-called-with-questions-no-AA/m-p/5569808

But apart from that I've had no problems and have since added one revolver, a personal charge, a business charge, and been added as an AU on a business revolver.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 7
SG43
Regular Contributor

I took my gold with a 5100$ POT limit up to 17000$ out of the middle of nowhere one month and never even got a call or text or anything. On a card that had never been over maybe 2500$. I paid in full. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Like amex didn't even notice

relax

Open Installments - Nfcu Auto (51% Left)
Closed Installments - Cap 1 Auto, Chase Auto, Prosperity Bank Secured
Closed Revolvers - Nfcu Plat V, NFCU Plat MC, Citi Simp, Citi DC, Citi DP, Cap1 Plat, Cap1 V1, Chase FU, First Premier, Capital1 Quicksilver, BBVA/PNC Points, Apple Card GS, Discover IT
Closed Busi - Amex BBC & BBP (Chopping block: Amex Prime, Sapphire Reserve [pyb changes])
Message 6 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SG43 wrote:

I took my gold with a 5100$ POT limit up to 17000$ out of the middle of nowhere one month and never even got a call or text or anything. On a card that had never been over maybe 2500$. I paid in full. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Like amex didn't even notice

relax

Im sure they noticedSmiley Wink. They just chose not to take any action. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.