Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpaying taxes for rewards

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Overpaying taxes for rewards

@Involver wrote:

I genuinely don't understand why my inquiry is so upsetting to you.

I didn't say I was going to do it.  

Like kdm said, we are not stupid.

[[Edited: tax payments would only be the same as cash-equivalents if a specific agreement forbids earning rewards from them.]]

Practically speaking, the IRS is probably not going to stop you from overpaying your taxes, although your issuer may not be so kind. But since I doubt any "category" cards cover taxes, just how much reward can you expect on the 20K? You are also looking at paying around 2% in fees just to pay your taxes with a credit card  - which will probably wipe your rewards anyway.

Message 21 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the OP set out to call anyone stupid, so let's calm down. Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 90
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In the worse case the refund would go back to the card.  I would assume that they don't!

Message 23 of 90
elim
Senior Contributor

If you pay via "PayUSATAX.com" it is 1.87% when paying with a MasterCard. Visa is over 2%.

so if you can find a 2% MC in your arsenal and make a 20k overpayment...

you will net $26.

ehh.

Message 24 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Arrival+? Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 90
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Arrival+? Smiley Happy

That's $80. I am not sure I will ever find it reasonable to tie up $20,000 to get 80 bucks and take the chance that Barclay's is going to take AA.

Message 26 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think the OP set out to call anyone stupid, so let's calm down. Smiley Happy

I agree.. Why is this such a sensitive subject? I just don't get it.

Message 27 of 90
elim
Senior Contributor

Way to think outside the box OP. I like it!

keep em' coming!

Message 28 of 90
kdm31091
Super Contributor

For the record, I wasn't saying the OP set out to call anyone stupid. They didn't. I was simply saying that we are not stupid enough to think that paying your taxes with CC is the same as overpaying, to the tune of 20 grand, for the hopes of less than a hundred dollars in rewards.

Makes absolutely no sense to tie up so much money, hope you won't get AA from the lender, likely max out your card, wait months for a refund, to get $75 or less? Why in the world...?

Message 29 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not worth it just for standard rewards.
Message 30 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.