Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas Fraud - So much for chip transactions

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Overseas Fraud - So much for chip transactions

So, I'm in germany right now on a little vacation. Lo and behold I get the dreaded text message from Chase (about my ritz card) "Did you make a charge at XXXXX for $XX.XX"

So much for chips being safer. Smiley Tongue Every transaction here (and in london, where I was yesterday) have been chip transactions, and my card was still compromised. The best part of the entire call was me trying to give my hotel's address to the CSR over the phone. Way too many letters Smiley Tongue. I actually called the front desk while on the phone with the bank to confirm the address. Smiley Tongue 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Overseas Fraud - So much for chip transactions

Bummer!!!  I had no problem with my Chase cards in Europe last month.  My US Bank card on the other hand...

Message 2 of 22
rlx01
Established Contributor

Message 3 of 22
rlx01
Established Contributor

The entire reason you even see that FT thread is because EMV hasn't been rolled out and service codes are not enforced (I.e. Enforced use of chip instead of magstripe).
Message 4 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Also, that FT thread is from may....it's now july.

Also, I'm in Germany. They dont take magstripe here Smiley Tongue and my card has a chip. 

Message 5 of 22
rlx01
Established Contributor

Err... the last post in that thread is from this morning.

Yes I understand that. You're missing the point.

U.S. banks are not enforcing EMV yet, so your card is still clonable and usable on a magstripe.
Message 6 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Also, that FT thread is from may....it's now july.

Also, I'm in Germany. They dont take magstripe here Smiley Tongue and my card has a chip. 

(1) Did you use the card in Germany only? No US usage so far?

(2) Was the fraud reported at a German location? 

Chances are that your data was obtained from a US location; or that they were copied from Chase's database. Not saying that chip is foolproof, but those are possible causes of fraud as well.

Message 7 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
Err... the last post in that thread is from this morning.

Yes I understand that. You're missing the point.

U.S. banks are not enforcing EMV yet, so your card is still clonable and usable on a magstripe.

I guess if OP hasn't used the card in the US at all, this might not happen; because we're looking at someone randomly guessing all of OP's card info right without skimming the physical card once.

I might be wrong!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you use the card exclusively in Germany? No U.S. usage? After your card has been compromised it'll get batched with other similar cards then put on the black market where, depending on how attractive the batch is, it may linger for awhile. Your card could've been compromised months ago & you're just now finding out.
Message 9 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It's a US Issued card, I live in the US, card has been used in the US. 

Card was used on aliexpress.com fraudulently, which I'm assuming is a relative/subsidary of AliBaba. 

I'm not missing the point, but the card is an EMV card, when used in a reader that has EMV capability, provided it is turned on. That is the case in almost all of europe though. But Just like non-emv cards, they can be used online. EMV plays no role in online purchases. If anything, EMV just means cards will be used exclusively for online fraud. The problem exists because EMV is NOT a 100% safe method, and as europe (and others) have been using these cards for YEARS already, the weaknesses in them have already been discovered and exploited. 

My last US usage was at Target.com (surprise) and before that it hadn't been used for a little over a month. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.