Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overstock & Boscov

tag
razzy116
Established Contributor

Overstock & Boscov

Overstock & Boscov told me that if i do not use the cards they will close them, should i let them close the cards? I have Bank of America, Discover, Capitalone, Target, Macy"s, USA Bank, Fnbo..

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Overstock & Boscov

@razzy116 wrote:

Overstock & Boscov told me that if i do not use the cards they will close them, should i let them close the cards? I have Bank of America, Discover, Capitalone, Target, Macy"s, USA Bank, Fnbo..

@razzy116  Don't you also have an AMEX card ?   If you want to keep your cards open then you should use them occasionally. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
razzy116
Established Contributor

I forgot Amex, Merrick, Creditone.

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Buying something you wouldn't otherwise buy, or paying much more for it, can be just as wasteful as paying a big AF on a card for perks you don't use.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@razzy116 wrote:

I forgot Amex, Merrick, Creditone.

Oh, okay of course, it's easy to forget.   Strange that you didn't post details about your AMEX approval, which card do you have?

Also it looks like you forgot Bloomingdales, Nordstrom and Apple card, it must be difficult keeping your stories straight, right ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@razzy116 wrote:

You're not giving us much to work with, although I see you've added some info after your OP. Personally, I wouldn't let the bank close my cards; I'd do it myself if closing them was the decision I'd arrived at. When a bank closes a card, they can simultaneously reduce your credit limit, so it looks like you had less credit than you really did. Also, although remarks don't matter, I don't like seeing 'closed by creditor' on my reports! (Yes, this happened to me once, the whole works, along with the CL reduction.)

But making a decision really depends on various factors, including how important these cards are in your overall scheme of things. For example, how much credit do they add to your total credit? If it's a lot, then closing them can hurt you in several ways, including instantly raising your overall utilization percentage (if you're carrying any balances) and decreasing your total credit.

How old are they? Where do they fit in your overall credit age?

If you're sure you're never going to want/need those cards, keeping them and occasionally charging something you don't need doesn't make a lot of sense. But if they're cards that you can actually use for purchases you would've made anyway, then keeping them may be better.

Give us more info and it'll be easier to provide meaningful feedback!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 7
Rogue46
Established Contributor

I can attest to that they just closed my Overstock card without warning a few days ago so if you want to keep it go ahead and put a charge on it

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.