Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Amex Plat --> Green

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

PC Amex Plat --> Green

I have the Amex Plat but just don't use the benefits nearly enough to justify the fee (with two cards its $600/year).  The $200 airline credit is great but with twins on the way I'm sure I won't even be using that for a while.  So my question is, can I do a PC downgrade with Amex, and if so will they give me any retention trouble ? 

The most important thing to me is the internal spending limit and financial power of the card, and as I understand it, that is tied to your credit directly and has no bearing on the card itself. (ie Plat > Gold > Green > Zync) 

Cheers..(and btw, I think the green is a better looking color Smiley Tongue )

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: PC Amex Plat --> Green

AFAIK you can always PC down when it comes to charge cards. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you can PC freely between charge cards, except for two scenarios: you cannot PC a card that has started as a Zync and you cannot "upgrade" for 12 months due to CARD Act or some new law like that.  You will get a prorated refund of the previous annual fee and a prorated charge for the new annual fee.

As for spending power, that's not really affected by the level of the card, but by income, credit score, spending patterns on the card, etc.

Message 3 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, you can PC freely between charge cards, except for two scenarios: you cannot PC a card that has started as a Zync and you cannot "upgrade" for 12 months due to CARD Act or some new law like that.  You will get a prorated refund of the previous annual fee and a prorated charge for the new annual fee.

As for spending power, that's not really affected by the level of the card, but by income, credit score, spending patterns on the card, etc.

+1

For instance, if you were spending TONS on the plat card to try to make it worth the AF, and then you go down to green and start spending less (since the AF is substantially lower) your internal limit might decrease. 

Message 4 of 8
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

your spending power doesn't depend on the color of the card. Green, gold and plat can all have the same internal limit. Personally I use the green and like it best for the money. Unless you are going to really use the additional benefits Green is a best fit for most people.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 8
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@espnjunkie wrote:

your spending power doesn't depend on the color of the card. Green, gold and plat can all have the same internal limit. Personally I use the green and like it best for the money. Unless you are going to really use the additional benefits Green is a best fit for most people.

+1. Amex has preapproved me for an upgrade to either the Gold, PR Gold or Platinum. But, based upon my particular spending habits, needs, and overall portfolio of cards, there's no benefit for me to upgrade. So, I'm happy to stay with my Green. I believe in choosing a card that works well for the individual; there is no one "right" card.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 8
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Earlier I considered "omg I should go for the platinum card" but once I came down from drinking the amex kool aid I realized that it isn't a fit for me currently. Yes, it's a status symbol, but unless you frequently travel for business and extensively for pleasure, it isn't really worth it.

There is no one right card for everyone, I agree. I use amex green for everyday spending to rack up MR points, and bcp for bonus categories. I know it's asking alot but if they added dining as a 3% category there would be no better card on the market.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 7 of 8
n777ua
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone; I PC'd to green yesterday.  Will my prorated AF refund hit when my next statement closes ? 

I decided that the travel bene's just didn't work for me, especially since my travel is extensively on UA.  I'm using the $ I'm saving on the Plat AF to pay for the AF on the UA Club Card...cheers..

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.