Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire?

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

PC Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire?

I searched and saw it had been asked several times already, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone successfully done a PC from the Sapphire Preferred to the regular Sapphire? If so, how long did you have the card open?

Planning to app in January if the 40,000 UR point signup bonus is still being offfered at that time, but I honestly can't see any benefits to outweigh the $95 AF after the first year.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rtw
Established Contributor

Re: PC Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire?

Wondering the same thing. I just got approved for the CSP this month.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 2 of 7
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Why would anyone want the regular sapphire, other than having access to the UR mall? If it's simply a cash-back card, there are far better options out there for the bonus categories. For example the Citi Forward offers 5% on dining compared to the normal Sapphire's 2%.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 7
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Why would anyone want the regular sapphire, other than having access to the UR mall? If it's simply a cash-back card, there are far better options out there for the bonus categories. For example the Citi Forward offers 5% on dining compared to the normal Sapphire's 2%.

It's that or close the CSP after 11 months. I'd rather PC.

Message 4 of 7
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

It's that or close the CSP after 11 months. I'd rather PC.

I'd PC as well, but it doesn't seem like you're getting much out of the normal sapphire. Would you consider PCing to a different Chase product?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 7
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'd PC as well, but it doesn't seem like you're getting much out of the normal sapphire. Would you consider PCing to a different Chase product?

Yes, but I already have the Freedom Signature, the Slate has no rewards, and the airline/travel cards are useless to me. I mean, if it has a lower interest rate than my current Freedom and they want to PC it to a second Freedom, that might be useful. Did you have any suggestions?

I figured the 2% back on restaurants with the regular Sapphire would still be useful. I don't eat out enough to balance the $95 AF for the Preferred, but the extra back with the regular Sapphire would be nice when it's not 5% back on restaurants from Freedom or Discover.

Like I said though, I don't even have the card yet, and I won't be applying until January.

Message 6 of 7
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

You could either ask to consolidate/re-allocate the CL to your current freedom instead of close it. This would bring it up from 5k.

The other option is to ask if you can get a mastercard version. You already have a visa, but if you call up and say that some places (like Sam's club) only takes MC, you might have a shot.

To be honest though there aren't many options if you don't like travel cards. Chase has the best selection in the industry right now, and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.