Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC ZYNC?

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

PC ZYNC?

So my time has come.

My $25 AF has hit my Zync account, and I've got to make the choice as to whether or not I want to keep the card, close, or PC it.

Any suggestions from those that have already made a choice?

I don't use it.  For that matter, I no longer use my PRG either (it will be Cx'd in Jan 14').  I just switched my 100% spending from my Chase SWA siggy to my Barclay US Airways siggy as they are offering me an additional 15k miles if I spend $750 per month between July and through the end of Sept.

I've got the Amex Delta Gold, Hilton, and Coscto.  I no longer use the Hilton, as I only app'd it for the sign-up bonus.  I plan to Cx the Delta (MAY PC to delta plat, but unsure) when it's AF comes-up in the next couple of months, and I do use the Costco very reguarly, so it's not going anywhere (No AF either)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: PC ZYNC?

Unless you're sitting on and harvesting MR points for a future transfer, I'd go ahead and cancel the account.  I see no reason to keep it around, since you've got other Amexes, no longer use the card, and have no plans to ever use the card.

The only reason would be if the novelty of having a rather "unique" Amex is worth $25, which is a small enough fee.

Message 2 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

@Repo-ed wrote:

I plan to Cx the Delta (MAY PC to delta plat, but unsure) when it's AF comes-up in the next couple of months

Make sure you obtain your companion ticket before closing the card Cat Tongue

Message 3 of 9
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

KEEP THE CARD!!!

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 4 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

So my time has come.

My $25 AF has hit my Zync account, and I've got to make the choice as to whether or not I want to keep the card, close, or PC it.

I don't use it.  For that matter, I no longer use my PRG either (it will be Cx'd in Jan 14').  I just switched my 100% spending from my Chase SWA siggy to my Barclay US Airways siggy as they are offering me an additional 15k miles if I spend $750 per month between July and through the end of Sept.

I've got the Amex Delta Gold, Hilton, and Coscto.  I no longer use the Hilton, as I only app'd it for the sign-up bonus.  I plan to Cx the Delta (MAY PC to delta plat, but unsure) when it's AF comes-up in the next couple of months, and I do use the Costco very reguarly, so it's not going anywhere (No AF either)

With a signup bonus available never PC a Delta card. Drop it, wait 365+ days and apply again. You don't lose a mile as Delta holds them. Going from Gold to Platinum is worth waiting it out just for the bonus. Depending on your spend on the card you could ask for a retension bonus but it's unlikely you would get much of an offer unless you did major spend. 

Is your AmEx Hilton the Surpass or the no fee one? I would downgrade to the free one and hold it forever just in case you stay at a Hilton and can get the 7X point per dollar spend. I guess if you never stay at Hilton dump it too resetting the 365+ day clock to get it for a bonus again. 

Message 5 of 9
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

So my time has come.

No more spending on Amex? You made panda sad Smiley Very Happy. Anyway, like you said, axe the PRG, but I would keep the unicorn.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

So my time has come.

With a signup bonus available never PC a Delta card. Drop it, wait 365+ days and apply again. You don't lose a mile as Delta holds them. Going from Gold to Platinum is worth waiting it out just for the bonus. Depending on your spend on the card you could ask for a retension bonus but it's unlikely you would get much of an offer unless you did major spend. 

Is your AmEx Hilton the Surpass or the no fee one? I would downgrade to the free one and hold it forever just in case you stay at a Hilton and can get the 7X point per dollar spend. I guess if you never stay at Hilton dump it too resetting the 365+ day clock to get it for a bonus again. 

Good call on both the Amex and the Hilton.

I'll just axe them and reset the bonus on both, since I fly SWA more frequently and stay at IHG properties more often, then Hilton.

Message 7 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Unless you're sitting on and harvesting MR points for a future transfer, I'd go ahead and cancel the account.  I see no reason to keep it around, since you've got other Amexes, no longer use the card, and have no plans to ever use the card.

The only reason would be if the novelty of having a rather "unique" Amex is worth $25, which is a small enough fee.

I agree OP your not even using the PRG so a charge card PC is out. I'd just cancel it if your not willing to pay the AF.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I was just about to contact Amex after my Delta Gold CLI this morning, to go ahead and cancel the card.

Then when I logged in to see if the new Gold CL was showing, I noticed that it had a negative (a credit balance) of $54.xx...

Well ---- I decided to keep the Unicorn.  ha!

SM'd AMEX CS and asked them to transfer the balance to my Zync card, so that the AF that just posted would be covered.  We'll see what next year brings, but I'm hoping for a 100k Plat. sign-up bonus, that's for sure!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.