PC from Quicksilver One to Quicksilver

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: PC from Quicksilver One to Quicksilver

@jawbrkr wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I was unaware that they had the regular Quicksilver in the MC network, I thought the network would automatically change once you pc to the regular QS and your credit improves. So basically I'm stuck with MC. It's weird cause I was approved for the AMEX blue cash everyday card yesterday with $1,200 credit line through a mail offer. I'll still give them a try in a few months. Thanks

Yep, if you PC the network stays the same, and you end up with a Quicksilver MasterCard.  The main reason most people want the PC is to retain the account history but not have an annual fee.  I'll also note that the Quicksilver MasterCard has the same features/rewards as the Quicksilver Visa... only the network is different.

If you have a QS1 MasterCard and want a Quicksilver Visa, you will have to app for it.

Personally, I think it's cool to have a QS MasterCard... until recently you couldn't app for it directly, so it's a bit rare.  (There's now an app for the QS WEMC on the Credit Karma site).

I believe the reason you could not apply for a QS MC was because the QS benefits were through Visa while the QS1 was through MC. I think they changed that recently and now all QS or QS1 are MC. The only way you can have a QS Visa now is if you were converting a Venture/VemtureOne Visa to a Quicksilver. If one applies outright it will be a MC.

I don't think that made a difference... while new apps for the QS/Venture MasterCard have only been recently been added to Capital One's main site, it's been pretty much always possible to get one via a PC... there are a few people on here who have been 'rocking a Venture MasterCard for literally years. 

I believe it was an internal decision made by Capital One likely based on marketing, or else MasterCard decided to make them a better deal if they would send more new cardholders their way.  The QS and QS1 benefits have always been the same, anyway... 1.5% cash back - the QS1 just had an annual fee.

All of this is just speculation, though... the thing that is for sure - at least at this time - is that it appears all new Capital One accounts are now issued as MasterCard.  We might see a Visa offering on another site eventually (similar to how we first saw the QS/Venture WEMC on Credit Karma) but for the moment as far as I know anybody who is approved for a new Capital One card will be getting a MasterCard.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just wondering. What's the big difference if the QS is a MC or VISA?
Message 12 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm just wondering. What's the big difference if the QS is a MC or VISA?

For most practical purposes, there's none at all. 

There are some people who prefer Visa since it can be used at Costco, and some people prefer to use MasterCard overseas since the exchange rate is slightly better, and there are some very specific places that might only take one or the other but for most people there's no difference at all.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.