Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Membership through Donation?

tag
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Re: PENFED Membership through Donation?

I will do my reviewing on USAA hopefully they are as good as NFCU!

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 11 of 24
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Ugh. There isn't a USAA in my area either only First Federal and others. I guess it doesn't particularly matter

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 12 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@rightcoast wrote:
Ugh. There isn't a USAA in my area either only First Federal and others. I guess it doesn't particularly matter

Usaa is geared toward active military that are overseas and nowhere near a branch. They are completely set up for online and phone banking. They do have some places where you can make a deposit in person, like UPS STORES, for example. But really you never need to do anything in person with them.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 24
dodgeball
Established Contributor

If you can possibley swing getting into NFCU do it, I am a member of all three banks and NFCU makes Penfed and USAA look horrible overall.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 14 of 24
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

That is my first choice and I'm working hard to get in. (DOD benefit thing is getting me) but I bank with Wells Fargo now and I am not very pleased with their service. Would you recommend these banks over Wells Fargo?

Message 15 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Don't use a HP on PenFed unless your credit history is near perfect and utilization are low.

USAA is a great bank, they just don't throw huge credit lines at people with low scores. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 24
rabell12
Established Member

I joined PenFed by opening a Share Account in mid-September with the intent of building a relationship until 2013 and app'ing for the Platinum Rewards card. I work for a company that does a lot of Gov't contract work, and they are on the 'approved' company list, so opening the account/becoming a member was no problem.

In mid-October I called customer service with a question, and while we were on the phone the CSR asked if I was interested in the PR card.  Told her I was interested, but was in the middle of a refi on my home, and couldn't afford a HP until that closed out. She said no problem, we'll use the one from opening the Share Account. 10 seconds later she tells me I'm approved with a $20K CL. Wow!

My refi closed at the end of November. I'd been curious about PenFed's used car refinance program with 1.49% up to 60 months. My truck was financed through BB&T at 7.99%. In early December I applied on-line for the refi and was approved - used the same HP from opening the Share Account in September.

My experience with PenFed so far has been great, and I will continue to grow that relationship as additional opportunities arise.

Message 17 of 24
rabell12
Established Member

Meant to include that I set up small direct deposits in to the share account as soon as it was opened, my scores were in the 680-700 range across the CRAs, and I had a number of inquiries (7-9), mostly refi related, showing on all 3 CRAs. Frankly, based on reading how conservative PenFed is, I was surprised I was able to get the PR card. YMMV.

Message 18 of 24
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Thats great! Did you do all of this online as well? That seems like a really good idea but Im sure scores were much higher than mine at the time. I am still rebuilding.

Message 19 of 24
rabell12
Established Member

Everything has been online with them.  They don't have any brick & morter locations in the state I live in.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.