Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED QUESTION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PENFED QUESTION

So I have been wanting a penfed card and have been a non military member for one year tomorrow. I was denied when I first joined for a card because of too many new accounts. I have not had a new account since last year in December when I was approved for a best buy card. I only had my credit checked twice for an auto loan since. My question is, do you think it has been long enough with no new accounts to get approved for a card? I was emailed offers but havent tried anything yet. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: PENFED QUESTION

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have been wanting a penfed card and have been a non military member for one year tomorrow. I was denied when I first joined for a card because of too many new accounts. I have not had a new account since last year in December when I was approved for a best buy card. I only had my credit checked twice for an auto loan since. My question is, do you think it has been long enough with no new accounts to get approved for a card? I was emailed offers but havent tried anything yet. 

How many total inqs/accounts did you have in last 24 mos? If it was LOL/24, it could still be a problem with some lenders even with no new inqs in the last 12 months. JMO.

However, if it was only 6/24, you have a chance. Even if this number is accurate, still wait until January to apply to make sure it's been a solid 12 months with no new accts or inqs. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 12
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

With the scores in your signature, you probably stand a decent shot.

They denied me (with lower scores) several times. Around the 9 month mark they started emailing me about low interest personal loans... I bit, had to show POI (most recent 2 pay stubs) -- approved; 30 days later, instant approval for Power Cash Rewards ($15k SL) Equifax HP 720's

Good luck!
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I agree with @CreditInspired .  You're probably fine already, but I like your odds better in January.

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What offers were you sent?  Penfed does pre-approved offers for cards and gives you the amount you are approved for if they want you to have their card. Some of their offers are not as great, like the Turbo Tax one, but if you get a quarterly offer that is credit related it's normally a sure thing. 

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Speak for yourself lol, the Turbo Tax is the best offer Penfed hasSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Speak for yourself lol, the Turbo Tax is the best offer Penfed hasSmiley Happy

LOLOLOL!  You know you hate that offer, @AverageJoesCredit!  

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If i ever get tattoos, left Arm " No Regerts " right arm " Turbo Tax" "PF Certified" 😄
Message 8 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

If i ever get tattoos, left Arm " No Regerts " right arm " Turbo Tax" "PF Certified" 😄

Message 9 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

OMG I cant stop laughing! 😂🤣😆

Is this for real @M_Smart007  or photoshop?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.