Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Reward Change

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: PENFED Reward Change

So glad that I didn't get this card.

Also, without notification I think you all have good reasoning for some complaints. I would be writing letters to PenFed, NCUA, and maybe even CFPB.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 11 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I guess any card that has unusually good rewards is going to get nerfed sooner or later.   Currently this is still 4.1% or so (depending on redemption) on gas, which is still better than most, but any downgrade gives a very negative impression.   I'll just use my TYP for now, and see what happens to the Penfed Cash Rewards card.

Message 12 of 64
RemyWinchester
Contributor

If we were all locked up in PFCU prison, I would lead the prison break and free you all.  I would be the one who said follow me, we are going to be free!

Message 13 of 64
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Hopefully, something new will come out with the best rewards for the best credit.   I am glad that I saw this thread yesterday though, because it saves me a hard inq and probable denial for one of the most prudent lenders... only for the chance to get a card that has been consistently downgraded.

I wonder if PenFed will change their underwriting criteria since their card has lost much of its appeal and is no longer outrageously awesome.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 64
nishant1
New Contributor

If a rewards are redeemed for a larger amount gift card then you need 11800 points for $100 gift card

This results in a cash back percentage from earlier 5% to 4.24 %.

Message 15 of 64
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

This is disapointing. I got the Penfed Platinum Rewards card earlier this year and used it for all my gas purchases. I also have the chase freedom and discover it, I guess they'll be getting out of the sock drawer more often than I expected.
Message 16 of 64
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Those with Cash Rewards version, has that changed?

Doesn't look like it.  My statement cut yesterday and it's still 5% on gas.

Message 17 of 64
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Does penfed let you pc to the cash rewards card?
Message 18 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:
Does penfed let you pc to the cash rewards card?

I plan to wait for a bit before trying.  If 5% off gas is unsustainable on one card, I would expect some change in Cash Rewards at some point.

Message 19 of 64
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Wow!!! Smiley Surprised This is really bad news. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I stayed with the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa card. Hopefully they won't nerf the 5% cashback on gas.

Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.