Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLATINUM DELTA SKYMILES UPGRADE OFFER

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PLATINUM DELTA SKYMILES UPGRADE OFFER

Good morning guys. I need advice. I have had the Blue Delta Skymiles AMEX card for almost three years now. I'm flying Delta next month and could stand to use the free checked bag, so I'm considering upgrading. I wanted to upgrade to the gold, but AMEX isn't offering me any upgrade incentives. They are however offering me the Delta SKymiles Platinum card with a 40,000 bonus mile offer  after I spend $3000 in three months. They also said the annual fee of $250 would be prorated since my anniversary month is in September. They also advised I could downgrade my card in September if I don't want to incur the $250 AF. I see they're offering an 80k signup bonus to new applicants, with an additional 20k after their first year. My offer sucks compared to that. 

Would you take my offer or leave it? Do you think I could possibly get them to offer me any additional incentive? I haven't had much interation with them. I just use my card and always pay on time. I also have their Hilton card, but I don't use it much at all. I'm going to see if I can possibly change that card over to a blue cash preferred or something. I hardly ever stay at Hilton hotels and really don't know why I got that card to begin with.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: PLATINUM DELTA SKYMILES UPGRADE OFFER

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning guys. I need advice. I have had the Blue Delta Skymiles AMEX card for almost three years now. I'm flying Delta next month and could stand to use the free checked bag, so I'm considering upgrading. I wanted to upgrade to the gold, but AMEX isn't offering me any upgrade incentives. They are however offering me the Delta SKymiles Platinum card with a 40,000 bonus mile offer  after I spend $3000 in three months. They also said the annual fee of $250 would be prorated since my anniversary month is in September. They also advised I could downgrade my card in September if I don't want to incur the $250 AF. I see they're offering an 80k signup bonus to new applicants, with an additional 20k after their first year. My offer sucks compared to that. 

Would you take my offer or leave it? Do you think I could possibly get them to offer me any additional incentive? I haven't had much interation with them. I just use my card and always pay on time. I also have their Hilton card, but I don't use it much at all. I'm going to see if I can possibly change that card over to a blue cash preferred or something. I hardly ever stay at Hilton hotels and really don't know why I got that card to begin with.

With the current sign-up bonus, I would NOT upgrade.  I would get the new Platinum account for the SUB and new incentives.  The Delta Blue is no AF so you can just put it away and forget about it.  Unfortunately, you can't product change a Hilton card to anything other than another Hilton card although you may be able to shift the credit limit to another Amex.

Message 2 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, there would be no additional incentive if you take the upgrade path.  You'd have to do some math (benefits-wise) and see whether the upgrade makes sense even with the prorated AF.  The current public SUB for Delta Platinum is 100K btw.

With regard to the Hilton card, it can only be PC'd between the Hilton family of cards (depending on which one you already have).  It cannot be PC'd to anything else. 

Message 3 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With the current sign-up bonus, I would NOT upgrade.  I would get the new Platinum account for the SUB and new incentives.  The Delta Blue is no AF so you can just put it away and forget about it.  Unfortunately, you can't product change a Hilton card to anything other than another Hilton card although you may be able to shift the credit limit to another Amex.

If OP has Delta Blue, they wouldn't be eligible for the Platinum Delta SUB, IIRC.

ETA - K-i-B corrected me on this 😁

Message 4 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That's a very generous upgrade offer, but if you are not opposed to opening a new account I would agree that applying for the Platinum SkyMiles card is the better route.  The difference between 40k and 100k is at least $720 more in airfare (and more like $1200 in my redemption experience last year).

And yes, Hilton cards can only be changed to other Hilton cards.  You should be able to move much of the limit elsewhere right from your Amex online account.

Message 5 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I apped for the Platinum because my upgrade offer was pretty sorry. I'll downgrade my gold to blue when AF time comes around.

Message 6 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If OP has Delta Blue, they wouldn't be eligible for the Platinum Delta SUB, IIRC. 

Why is that?

Message 7 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If one has or has recently had the Gold, Platinum, or Reserve, they are not eligible for the SUB on Blue.  Otherwise everything else is fair game!

Message 8 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If one has or has recently had the Gold, Platinum, or Reserve, they are not eligible for the SUB on Blue.  Otherwise everything else is fair game!

Ooopsie the other way around ☺️  Thanks @K-in-Boston for the correction on this. 

So, if someone had Delta Platinum downgraded to Blue, they'd still be ineligible for Delta Platinum SUB via new app, right? (lifetime language) 

Message 9 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That is correct.  But they would be eligible for Gold, Reserve, and all business versions.

I left out the old Delta SkyMiles personal and business cards that are still floating around and included in the exceptions for the welcome offer on Blue, but I can't recall seeing anyone that still has one of those.

8E761D0F-2286-43BB-984A-675EFFCC1609.jpeg

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.