Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLATINUM DELTA SKYMILES UPGRADE OFFER

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PLATINUM DELTA SKYMILES UPGRADE OFFER

Ok guys. So they did say I would get the companion certificate right away. With the new signup you don't get it until your 1 year anniversary. 

Message 11 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

By "right away," I'm assuming they mean in September when your account renews since you're doing a product change mid-year.  (Effectively 5 months earlier than if it were a new application, but you'll also be paying the $250 AF in September.)  I don't believe they would give you one on card issuance since it's automatically done at account renewal, and your account would renew in September.  Even still, unless you were using it for a rather expensive ticket in the CONUS (not that likely since it only applies to certain fare codes) the welcome offer for a new card is going to be much more valuable.  I'll repeat that it's a great upgrade offer, but can't compete with a true welcome offer.  (And the value of that companion fare skyrockets if you live in AK, HI, USVI, or PR of course.  I never found that to be fair to us mainlanders.)

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a reason why you say the value of the companion fare skyrockets if you live in AK, HI, USVI, or PR? (I'm in GA) Is there a cap on how expensive the ticket can be? I was thinking of going to either Paris, Aruba, or the UK and taking my son.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking maybe it would be better to open a business gold. I won't have to take the hard hit, still get the free checked bags, and can just downgrade after year one. I have the sapphire reserve and don't want to pay any more AF's.

Message 14 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

L, U, T, X, and V fares are the only ones eligible for the companion fare on Platinum.   Those are Main Cabin tickets in the low cost to medium cost range.  From Georgia or any of the 48 continental states, you can only use it for flights to any of the 48 continental states.

Those with mailing addresses in the four states and territories mentioned can use the companion certificate for flights originating in those states or territories to the mainland 48 states.

The companion certificates cannot be used for international flights, even from say Miami to Nassau where a flight might be cheaper than Miami to San Francisco.

Message 15 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking maybe it would be better to open a business gold. I won't have to take the hard hit, still get the free checked bags, and can just downgrade after year one. I have the sapphire reserve and don't want to pay any more AF's.

There is no downgrade available for the Business Gold SkyMiles Card.  While I believe the Delta Options Business card might still exist, I don't see any DPs here or on FlyerTalk of a PC to that since 2011.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the information. I had no clue.

@K-in-Boston wrote:

L, U, T, X, and V fares are the only ones eligible for the companion fare on Platinum.   Those are Main Cabin tickets in the low cost to medium cost range.  From Georgia or any of the 48 continental states, you can only use it for flights to any of the 48 continental states.

Those with mailing addresses in the four states and territories mentioned can use the companion certificate for flights originating in those states or territories to the mainland 48 states.

The companion certificates cannot be used for international flights, even from say Miami to Nassau where a flight might be cheaper than Miami to San Francisco.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take it! (In my personal opinion) Upgrade offers are rare, I love Delta Amex 😍

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.