cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLZ HELP ME....Denied American Express?

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: PLZ HELP ME....Denied American Express?

We could help more if you listed the fico score they gave you in the denial letter, which Amex you applied for and a little about your credit history, such as whether you are new to credit (oldest card?) and whether you have any negatives. If your score is too low, issuers will often just list three factors that are lowering your score. While there are some people who have achieved high scores over years without installment loans, it is also true that variety of credit IS a factor in fico scoring. Adding a personal loan was what got my eq back into the 700s after being stuck in the 690s, for example.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 11 of 22
Flying_High
Regular Contributor

Ok I just had to update my scores on MyFCIO my TU is 727, EQ is 668..

I allso have uploaded whats on my file....Im doing everything im supposed to be doing, and Im when my Cap1 bill is due i pay acouple days early before due date but it still doesnt want to show on MyFICO that I had a balance.. So am I suppose to wait last min to pay it just so it can show in my revolving account.... and as u can see im uesing %1 Ratio from Ebay they reported that $13 the same day I was approved....and why is it saying You have too many Account with bal and next to it it saids Number of  your account carrying a bal is 1 "But YET I have to many accounts with bal". Now do you see why im so confused?..

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
As of 9/13"
Starting Score: 600
Goal Score: 740
Garden till 10/14"
Message 12 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Really the thing holding you back is the length of your history. Eight months is very short and that is probably the biggest reason American Express declined the application. A lot of new accounts can also make lenders apprehensive about approving you. I do not get why Capital One has not reported a balance, but that really is not that important in my opinion.

The too many accounts with a balance is obviously ridiculous and you should just ignore it.

You probably do not want to hear this, because I know I did not, but you should let the accounts you have age some more. Maybe in February you could try and apply again since your file will be a year old. It is really hard to get established when you are just starting out, but you are doing very well with five accounts already.

Message 13 of 22
swpopham
Established Contributor

I agree with navigate sit tight for at least 6 months. You are going to do more damage reapplying only to get denied again. Amex historically likes to see at least a year on previous cards. Chill out relax and enjoy knowing you are starting out a solid foundation to build off of
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 14 of 22
Flying_High
Regular Contributor

@Navigatethis12 Smiley Happy Thank You that help me out alot cause It was seriously driving myself crazy It was making me feel like I was missing something, Yeah as long as the Ebay gets put on the revolving account im not going to stress over the others..I dont want to be denied anymore so im done with tryin 2 get more credit cards @Swpopham you are right ill dig myself a hole & that cant happen....Thank you guys, Theresa

As of 9/13"
Garden till 10/14"
Message 15 of 22
Elcid89
Contributor

Truthfully, you have a thin file and you have a very short history. Neither of these are things that AMEX likes.

I won't say that it never happens, but app'ing for an AMEX with that credit file was really (IMO) swinging for the bleachers. You need to lower your horizons and focus on getting progressively better credit lines that realistically fit with your own situation.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 16 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1 to all... yeah your history is just so short..... honestly, you'd be even better of if you just wait til your aaoa is at two years... then you could get Amex or any other prime card really....Also... work on getting those limits higher... (don't count on Cap One for CLIs though!! HAHAH )

Best of luck :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 22
Flying_High
Regular Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Truthfully, you have a thin file and you have a very short history. Neither of these are things that AMEX likes.

1++++

As of 9/13"
Garden till 10/14"
Message 18 of 22
Flying_High
Regular Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

+1 to all... yeah your history is just so short..... honestly, you'd be even better of if you just wait til your aaoa is at two years... then you could get Amex or any other prime card really....Also... work on getting those limits higher... (don't count on Cap One for CLIs though!! HAHAH )

Best of luck :-)

Yeah Ikn and it sucks. To be honest Im goin to try lol Smiley LOL. The only thing I can do is wait 6 months on the Discover, Ebay, Walmart, & JUST maybe on the Cap1 $500 limit but yeah we all know how GREEDY Cap1 can be haha., and for my luck I hope they really help me out with the CL Smiley Happy

As of 9/13"
Garden till 10/14"
Message 19 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I just got my first Discover, so Idk how they are with CLIs, but I have both a Paypal MC (same as Ebay MC) and the Walmart Disc... and GECRB can be great with clis every four months... so I bet you can build those up in the next 6 months to a year to prob a couple thousand each. Just NEVER miss a payment :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.