Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Everyday Rewards vs. Discover More

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

PNC Everyday Rewards vs. Discover More

I am trying to decide between a PNC Everyday Rewards Visa and a Discover More card. Most of my purchases will be in gas/groceries/restaurants and I spend around $500 a month. Which card do you think would be better? (FICO 741)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: PNC Everyday Rewards vs. Discover More

@scientifics wrote:

I am trying to decide between a PNC Everyday Rewards Visa and a Discover More card. Most of my purchases will be in gas/groceries/restaurants and I spend around $500 a month. Which card do you think would be better? (FICO 741)

Is there a reason you're not considering PenFed? Their VISA is 5% on gas and 2% on groceries, with 1% on the rest...and the credit is applied to your next month's statement. No points, etc.

I'm not familiar with the PNC Everyday card, but I'm underwhelmed with my Discover. You have to spend $3k a year before you start getting even 1%. It gives no reward for purchases at stores like Walmart...and that's all we've got in our small town. We use our Discovers (2) only for the 5% categories, and those even have low maximim limits.

My 2 cents.....

Message 2 of 9
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I'm not eligible for PenFed.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you comparing a rewards card to a cash back card?

Message 4 of 9
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

They are both cashback. The PNC details are:

Earn Cash Back for Everyday Purchases* -

• Up to 4% on gasoline at the pump
    (up to $250 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • 3% on cinema and movie rentals
    (up to $150 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • 2% on groceries, resturants and fast food
    (up to $750 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • Up to 1% on almost everything else
    (1/4% on first $10,000 in eligible net purchases each year, 1% thereafter with no limits)
  • Automatic Redemption (earn $100 cash back and receive a check in your next statement)
Message 5 of 9
wajj
Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

I'm not eligible for PenFed.

You can be.  Just join the National Military Families Association (I think).  1 time annual fee of $25.00 and you're eligible for PenFed.  You don't nned to stay a member after that first year.  And besides, its for a good cause.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you can get the PenFed card, PNC sounds better than Discover More.  I'd rather have 4% on gas everyday than for three months. 

Message 7 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

They are both cashback. The PNC details are:

Earn Cash Back for Everyday Purchases* -

• Up to 4% on gasoline at the pump
    (up to $250 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • 3% on cinema and movie rentals
    (up to $150 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • 2% on groceries, resturants and fast food
    (up to $750 in eligible monthly net purchases)
  • Up to 1% on almost everything else
    (1/4% on first $10,000 in eligible net purchases each year, 1% thereafter with no limits)
  • Automatic Redemption (earn $100 cash back and receive a check in your next statement)

You'd have to do the math based on your monthly spending, but it looks as if these rewards will beat the Discover rewards. When Discover gives you a maximum on purchases for their 5% rewards, that maximum is for the entire quarter, and then that reward is gone for a year.

There is some value in being able to use the Discover cashback for the boost you can get on gift cards...like turning in $25 in rewards for a $30 gift card, for example. That's what we do in order to try to maximize the little we get from Discover. Some people also use Discover shopping for a bonus.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to open a bank account with PNC and apply for a card later this year.  I opened a CapOne Cash back in Nov 09, which I regret because of the low CL. 

Since Nov of last year, I've gotten about $27 in cash rewards off of gas, groceries and dining out.  This is 2% cash back.  I spend about $80 gas on a month and about $70 groceries and dining out.  Of course, I didn't know about other cash back cards and stuff at the time, otherwise I would never have applied for it.  My scores are 730+. 

Go with the PNC.  I am.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.