Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Secured - Can't get unsecured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PNC Secured - Can't get unsecured?

The first credit card I got was a secured card through PNC. I gave them $300 and I have a $300 limit. I now have 3 other credit cards, and decent credit scores (732 FICO on Discover). I wanted to convert my PNC secured card to unsecured, and get my $300 back. I called their credit analyst line today, and he told me that I would have to apply for a seperate card (unsecured card) through PNC to get it unsecured. But wouldn't that mean that I would have to open a whole new credit card, get another credit inquiry, AND have to close my PNC secured card. Which I don't want to do, because I haven't even had my PNC secured card for 24 months yet, and I want to carry that credit for at least 24 months. 

So I guess my question is, am I understanding this guy correctly? Should I just keep it secured, and then after 24 months of having it, close it up? It's just having this secured card, and them having my $300 bugs me lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PNC Secured - Can't get unsecured?

I don't hear too much about PNC unsecuring, but hopefully someone else with first hand experience chimes in. How long have you had the secured card open? They can be pretty tough to get approved for an unsecured card, it just depends on your profile - particularly new accounts and inquiries.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Pmc is like capital one. They do not unsecured their cards. Capital one use do insecure it but I'm sure people took advantage of the situation and did not pay their bills.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to comment because I have first-hand experience regarding this. I was building credit history since I didn't have any at the time. I already had a bank account with PNC, so I figured I would go ahead and talk to a rep about a secured credit card. 

BEWARE of this card! Especially, if you want to build credit because of no credit history or bad credit, DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

The rep pretty much lied to my face when I asked her how the secured credit card worked. She told me that after 6 months to a year I can unsecure it and use it as a regular card. Not only do they charge $3 every month, but you cannot unsecure! I spoke to a PNC rep to unsecure, I was told over the phone that they could not and that I would have to "close the account" and open up a new credit card that's unsecure with them! You really think, after I have been lied to already, that I will go ahead and still open up another account with you? I already learned my lesson! Every month I'm stuck paying $3 and cannot close it because it will affect my credit score that I have been patiently working hard to build! It's truly unbelieveable! 

So, please do yourself a favor and do NOT open an account with them unless you really need it and it's your last resort. I just wish I saw a review like this prior to opening with them!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can second this experience. This was my first rebuilder card and you can only apply for this in the bank. The bank rep lied straight to my face it will get unsecured in 6 months. Pretty much the same experience as above. Pissed at them for such brazen lies.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question Opti,

You state that you gave them three hundred and now have a 3k CL.

Is that from them raising it without more money given to them ?

Every time i have asked they always tell me sure give us more money..

Message 6 of 10
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

I have a banking relationship with PNC, I have a personal account a business account and a credit card. My card is not a secured one, but I know people that have them with PNC, here that bank at my branch and they were told that it does not unsecure. You have to close the account and apply for a regular credit card.

PNC also is very very conservative. They are inquiry sensitive, and don't like baddies on your credit record. They are a lot more lenient if you have a banking relationship with them, and they will overlook inquiries. They are pretty generous with their customers if you have an established relationship with them.

Message 7 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to comment because I have first-hand experience regarding this. I was building credit history since I didn't have any at the time. I already had a bank account with PNC, so I figured I would go ahead and talk to a rep about a secured credit card. 

BEWARE of this card! Especially, if you want to build credit because of no credit history or bad credit, DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

The rep pretty much lied to my face when I asked her how the secured credit card worked. She told me that after 6 months to a year I can unsecure it and use it as a regular card. Not only do they charge $3 every month, but you cannot unsecure! I spoke to a PNC rep to unsecure, I was told over the phone that they could not and that I would have to "close the account" and open up a new credit card that's unsecure with them! You really think, after I have been lied to already, that I will go ahead and still open up another account with you? I already learned my lesson! Every month I'm stuck paying $3 and cannot close it because it will affect my credit score that I have been patiently working hard to build! It's truly unbelieveable! 

So, please do yourself a favor and do NOT open an account with them unless you really need it and it's your last resort. I just wish I saw a review like this prior to opening with them!

Closing a CC alone will not affect your score. It only affects it IF your overal revolving util is effected.  

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The first credit card I got was a secured card through PNC. I gave them $300 and I have a $300 limit. I now have 3 other credit cards, and decent credit scores (732 FICO on Discover). I wanted to convert my PNC secured card to unsecured, and get my $300 back. I called their credit analyst line today, and he told me that I would have to apply for a seperate card (unsecured card) through PNC to get it unsecured. But wouldn't that mean that I would have to open a whole new credit card, get another credit inquiry, AND have to close my PNC secured card. Which I don't want to do, because I haven't even had my PNC secured card for 24 months yet, and I want to carry that credit for at least 24 months. 

So I guess my question is, am I understanding this guy correctly? Should I just keep it secured, and then after 24 months of having it, close it up? It's just having this secured card, and them having my $300 bugs me lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

ESPECIALLY if you are paying fees, but even if you are not, just go ahead and close it. It will not hurt your newly established credit. It will stay on your report for 10 years. By that time the few months difference between this and your next oldest account will not amount to much of anything. You see the horror stories posted above. You have better cards now. Just dump them!

Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I have heard these issues in general about PNC credit cards. I bank with them because they're all over the Pittsburgh area, and honestly never had an issue with that end of it. I thought about their CC, as they send me something once a week. But the info I've gotten from others keeps me away.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.