cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: Absolute BEST Credit Cards for CASH REWARDS and AIRLINE MILES

tag

POLL: Absolute BEST Credit Cards for CASH REWARDS and AIRLINE MILES

First, you guys are giving me GREAT advice, much appreciated.

Here's MY deal...

...someone recommened here that, in his opinion, getting one card each (discover, VISA, MC and AMEX) covers your bases.  Good advice, but I don't want to carry something if I rarely ever use it.

In my case, I want: 1) CASH REWARDS for buying gas, eating out, shopping, groceries etc; and, 2) I want AIRLINE MILES.  Every year I travel from Florida to Europe.  Also, no foreign transaction fees; and, 3) no annual fee UNLESS you guys feel its worth it (i.e., rewards cancel out the fee)

WHICH CARDS ARE THE BEST?  That is, which cards should I really shoot for and is WORTH the hard pull on my credit report?

Thanks again, as always.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
greeneman21
Contributor

Re: POLL: Absolute BEST Credit Cards for CASH REWARDS and AIRLINE MILES

What do your credit scores look like?

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 2 of 38

Well, that question goes with some other posts that I have made here. 

I'm NOT applying anytime soon for these IDEAL cards b/c I'm trying to bump my FICO as high as possible.  I have ONE negative student loan account, for example, that has derogs (missed payments, last one January 2012 and now has been consistently being paid six months now.  I'm gonna wait until February, 2013 to apply for these IDEAL cards when I have 12 solid months of payments since my derogs.

Also, per my previous post, I want to apply when my UTI is <8% on the four present cards I carry.

That being said, my current FICO scores (with my student loan derog and UTI of 78%) pulled two weeks ago:

TU 667

Equifax 672

Experian ???

That being said, I wont apply till March, 2013.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 38
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

the absolute best rewards cards are the ones that you AP for an are approved, and use. If you don't do all three you won't recieve rewards. 

with that note:   

AMEX  BCP  is my first choice but you need to spend a lot to break even has a  AF

AMEX BCE  is the secord, hard to get but has decent rewards

AMEX Zync  with packs,  poissibly NPSL and 1% standard with packs getting 2% has AF plus some packs cost money. 

CapOne rewards  1% on everything, 2% on gas stations  easy to get with a small AF $39 

other capone's are nice but much harder to get. 

Chase Freedom, DISC more, DISC IT  has 5% on rotating items. and 1% on everything and upto 10% on certain retailers got 5% off hotels.com which also gives 1 free night after 10 stays, prices some of the best on the net. 

DISC more, DISC IT  has 5% on rotating items.  but has low rewards untill you spend a lot of money. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 38

FWIW...I am also a full member of USAA, if that matters

Message 5 of 38
lanc
Regular Contributor

Penfed cu offers 5% gas

Amex BCP 3% groceries

Personally I use cap1 cash rewards which gives you a 50% bonus each year so it's basically 1.5% for everything (I shop at walmart because my groceries are always 10% cheaper there compared to "actual" grocery stores) and I use 2% amex bce for gas (you could use bank of america 3% but never apped for it or penfed)

AMEX offers 2% back on everything if you use ceratin accounts such as the fidelity amex

Message 6 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Need more info about your credit file.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sorry posting from cell phone can't edit post.

Not sure what cards you have currently but I would recommend:

AMEX BCP
Chase Freedom
Discover More
Citi Thank You Premier

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 38
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

What are your FICO Scores?  Are you well seasoned (high scores) or lower than prime or sub prime?

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 9 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

the absolute best rewards cards are the ones that you AP for an are approved, and use. If you don't do all three you won't recieve rewards. 

with that note:   

AMEX  BCP  is my first choice but you need to spend a lot to break even has a  AF

AMEX BCE  is the secord, hard to get but has decent rewards

AMEX Zync  with packs,  poissibly NPSL and 1% standard with packs getting 2% has AF plus some packs cost money. 

CapOne rewards  1% on everything, 2% on gas stations  easy to get with a small AF $39 

other capone's are nice but much harder to get. 

Chase Freedom, DISC more, DISC IT  has 5% on rotating items. and 1% on everything and upto 10% on certain retailers got 5% off hotels.com which also gives 1 free night after 10 stays, prices some of the best on the net. 

DISC more, DISC IT  has 5% on rotating items.  but has low rewards untill you spend a lot of money. 

Which capital one card gets 2% back on gas? I have the Cash rewards card and I don't get that D:

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.