Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POT charge eligibility on Amex Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

POT charge eligibility on Amex Gold

I guess I’m a little confused on this, and I figured I’d ask those of you who have had the card awhile, as this forum is more reliably informed than random CSRs.

When I got my Gold card just under a month ago, on the paperwork it says I have a POT limit of $15k. In my account, I see that the POT feature is active (I have it set for manual selection rather than having Amex automatically dump all eligible charges into POT). The information on the site spells out the criteria for what charges will not qualify, and it seems pretty black-and-white. I would think then that anything not expressly stated as ineligible would be permissible to use in POT. My question is, how will I know if a potential charge can be placed into POT? Is it done similarly to the Plan It Pay It feature on my revolvers, where there’s a “button” next to an eligible charge on the itemized spending breakdown that would allow me to use the feature? I ask because I’ve had two charges (one two weeks ago, $167 at The Melting Pot, and one 3 weeks ago for a brake caliper for $178) which should be eligible for POT, as they’re both over $100 and aren’t categorized in a way that would fit the exclusion criteria. I’m not interested in using POT for these charges, but I figured they would be eligible, but I can’t find any way that I could put them into POT if I wanted to.

How does a charge that’s eligible show up in my account? It matters to me because I may put my youngest daughter’s $4000 private elementary school tuition on the card, and if I do that, I’m going to want to use the feature. I don’t want to go on faith that it’ll be ok to do so, make the payment, and then find out I can’t use POT for a few months to pay for it.

What should I look for to know whether I can use it?
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: POT charge eligibility on Amex Gold

Anything over $100 goes automatically into POT.  You don’t put them there.

go to statement and activities and scroll down and you should be able to see the breakdown.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I thought it only did that if I selected automatic POT entry. I’ll have to wait another week or so until my statement closes on July 2, unless it shows up under the “current charges” portion under the statements. I’ll take a look at it today though, thank you.
Message 3 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok. I thought it only did that if I selected automatic POT entry. I’ll have to wait another week or so until my statement closes on July 2, unless it shows up under the “current charges” portion under the statements. I’ll take a look at it today though, thank you.

Me too....there IS a choice of manual and I did click that, so I am with you about how you actually manually move charges over....I have never had to yet so this should be interesting.....

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also wondering that. I looked under current charges and the restaurant charge is there but there is no notation or indication that it’s under POT (not surprising since I’m set up for manual moves), nor is there a visible way to move it there.
Message 5 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was also wondering that. I looked under current charges and the restaurant charge is there but there is no notation or indication that it’s under POT (not surprising since I’m set up for manual moves), nor is there a visible way to move it there.

Think I figured it out on your splash screen to the right click the Pay charges over time in the Useful links, when you get to the pay over time page there is a HUGE blue button that says select charges push that button, cause the DEVIL MADE ME DO IT.....

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went in to do this, but when I push Get Started on the manual side, it directs me to the option to activate automatic POT selection. There’s a button that says Select Transactions but it’s not doing anything.

Either nothing is coding right to allow it or maybe I’m just dumb lol.
Message 7 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I went in to do this, but when I push Get Started on the manual side, it directs me to the option to activate automatic POT selection. There’s a button that says Select Transactions but it’s not doing anything.

Either nothing is coding right to allow it or maybe I’m just dumb lol.

Sorry I do not have any charges posted on mine, I do have an over 100 charge pending, and can try then, when I hit the button now it brings me to a menu that says you have nothing to pay over time.....so 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to opt into automatic POT placement for the time being, so maybe that’ll be more illustrative of what will be included and how it’ll work. It said to check back later for the effective start date. I’ll update here once I see any changes in the POT center with regard to applied charges or the date it’ll go into effect.
Message 9 of 20
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I decided to opt into automatic POT placement for the time being, so maybe that’ll be more illustrative of what will be included and how it’ll work. It said to check back later for the effective start date. I’ll update here once I see any changes in the POT center with regard to applied charges or the date it’ll go into effect.

And once my charge hits I will see if this is indeed the way to do the manual way and post back here, then we will have DPs!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.