Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA! Alliant makes you forfeit cashback when PCing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSA! Alliant makes you forfeit cashback when PCing

So I have had the Alliant Cashback Visa Signature for nearly two years. The first year was 3% with no AF; my second year, at 2.5%, I paid the $59 AF because I anticipated spending the $11,800 needed to justify it over a fee-free 2% card (wound up spending $13,444 for an effective 2.06%).

Since then, the fee has gone up to $99, which pushes the break-even annual spend up to $19,800. For some time, I've had marked on my calendar to product-change the card to their no-fee 2% version, the Alliant Visa Platinum Rewards, prior to my annual fee hitting (mid-October). I called in today to make the change and learned, unpleasantly, than you must forfeit any accrued cashback when making the PC request! This really screws me for a couple of reasons:

• I redeem the minimum $25 cashback every time I breach that total, and I always draw exactly $25 (rather than, say, $30 if I have it) so that I have $5 leftover to accelerate the next cashout. Currently I'm sitting on $16 unredeemed, which is not enough to pull out on its own.
  • In my current statement period, which ends a few days after the AF will hit, I will get about $20 cashback.

So that $36 of unredeemed cash presents this calculus: switch to 2% and lose $36, or pay the $99 fee for another year at 2.5%. Assuming identical spend next year:

2% × $13,444 = $269, minus $36 is $233
2.5% × $13,444 = $336, minus $99 is $237

Both options equate to about 1.7% return. Bummer!

So, lessons learned for anyone intending to make this switch:

• Stop using this card after the last statement before your AF will hit.
  • Plan ahead to have >$25 available to cash out after that statement.
  • Consider asking to change your statement date so that it cuts shortly before your membership anniversary. (In my case it's quite unfortunate: anniversary is the 12th, statement usually cuts 13th-14th). I put in a request to have it change to earlier in the month and have yet to hear back. Hoping, rather doubtfully, that they can cut this current statement early and I can get that cashback out before the AF.

For me, I think I'll pay the $99 for another year. At almost identical returns, the service and perks on the Cashback Visa Signature are better. And, you never know, maybe I'll hit $19,800. It'll certainly put the fire under me to generate MS. But next year I'll plan ahead!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: PSA! Alliant makes you forfeit cashback when PCing

May I ask you a dumb question?   I have had this same card for about two years.  I have never figured out how to find what my cashback amount is, let alone how to redeem it.   Can you point me in the right direction?   I have not used the card much so I may also switch to the no fee version.   Thanks for letting me know it's out there.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure.

1. Log into your account. You should be brought to your Account Summary, showing your accounts categorized by Deposit Accounts and Credit Card Accounts. Click "Options" on the far right side of your "Cashback Signature Visa."
  2. More options will drop down. Click "Alliant Cashback," third option down on the left column.
Message 3 of 5
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, Neut. My first year is up in Jan, and I intend to downgrade to the 2% no-AF version. I just checked my redemption balance. It's at $46 - I'll wait for it to hit $50, to keep a minimum of $25 in there to ensure I can cash out in January. And thanks for letting me know to make the change before the AF hits. It seems lenders vary on this.

Alliant is a little quirky, but I've enjoyed them.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old topic, but I just learned this the hard way — AF hits this month but, due to the rewards needing to be forfeited, it ends up being cheaper to just pay the fee. Bummer.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.