Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA: Disco PCing cards UNSOLICITED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSA: Disco PCing cards UNSOLICITED

I got an e-mail saying I had a new card on the way but, I have an IT and they changed it to a Miles card w/o asking.

Hopped on chat to investigate.  First response was:

You formerly had a Discover More card. Because we no longer offer the More card, we are in the process of transitioning all More card members to the Discover it card.
Both cards are eligible for the 5% promotions. The only difference in the rewards is the tiered structure on the More card. With the it card, you earn 1% on all purchases, all of the time. With the More card, you earn a full 1% after you make $3,000.00 in qualifying purchases annually, based on your anniversary date, and .25% on your first $3,000.00 in purchases as well as all wholesale and discount store purchases.
There are absolutely no disadvantages of converting to the it card. I have listed the other benefits below:
- With the Discover it card, you have a payment cut-off time of 11:59 pm ET on the due date. With the More card, your cut-off time is currently 5 pm ET on the due date.
- With the Discover it card, there are no penalty APR increases for late payments. With the More card, your APR may be increased due to late payments.
- With the Discover it card, your first late payment is automatically waived.
Does this help to explain why your card was changed?

Told them I didn't authorize the swap and didn't have a MORE card to begin with.  Got handed off to another agent to investigate things further.

Upon review, I show the current Discover it account has been inactive for a while.  
(while I haven't used it in 6 months they haven't done this before and I don't recall seeing anyone else reporting this type of thing around here either)
This conversion was done through Discover with the thought that the Discover It Miles card would be a better fit where you can make purchases you need and earn miles. I do show it's still in process of converting and can't be cancelled. Once converted, if you did prefer to keep the Discover it card, we can convert your account back. Does this help to clarify a bit further?

I typically don't have issues with CCC's and this strikes me as strange   My first thoughts were to make sure I didn't get my account hijacked but, all the info under my profile was correct and unchanged.  

SMH.... I guess if you don't use your card for 6 months they'll change your program w/o asking and just send an e-mail letting you know you have a new card and program on the way in 7-10 days.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PSA: Disco PCing cards UNSOLICITED

That’s pretty unbelievable for Disco to do that. Hopefully this is a one off and not a new thing they start doing. Many people only use their It cards for one or two categories a year, myself included, so it’s not that unusual to have a card be dormant that long. Instead of PCing people without asking, they should start sending out offers for It Miles with a sign up bonus if they want to drive growth. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've had the card for 4 years now and never had them do this before in between uses.  I've toyed around with picking up a 2nd one through Amazon for the $75 offer and then just combine them when appropriate but, just to shuffle things around w/o contact other than notifying someone they're sending a new card w/ a new rewards structure is a new one for me w/ all the cards I have I simply don't need another 1.5% card...

Now, if they were offering the SUB of 3% for a year to switch then I'd take it w/o having to deal with a new account and waiting to combine them later on.

Message 3 of 16
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I was well aware that they do this for the Discover It Secured but in that case they change it to a Discover It card which is identical while giving your deposit back. That PC is encouraged of course.

I did hear something about the Discover More card holders getting pushed around to other cards but if you had a different card then it should not have happened. Normally to Discover It cards. Sounds like something went wrong in the computer. Did that account ever become a Discover More card?

If you really want your old card then just ask to PC back and make sure they overnight it. FedEx Express will happily drop it off for you.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

Sounds like something went wrong in the computer. Did that account ever become a Discover More card?

If you really want your old card then just ask to PC back and make sure they overnight it. FedEx Express will happily drop it off for you.

Never was a MORE

Didn't sound like a computer issue.

Alreayd had the rep cancel the change.

Yes, Secured cards are not optimal for anything rewards related and should be swapped after approval to IT for cashback.

Message 5 of 16
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The More card got replaced by the IT card 5-6 years ago.  I'm surprised they went this long without killing it off, I converted mine over to an IT card 2-3 years ago.   It's still sockdrawered and gets pulled out for exercise maybe once every 18 months or so. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

The More card got replaced by the IT card 5-6 years ago.  I'm surprised they went this long without killing it off, I converted mine over to an IT card 2-3 years ago.   It's still sockdrawered and gets pulled out for exercise maybe once every 18 months or so. 

I opened my IT card 8/2015.

It seems more like they're reviewing accounts for activity and switching them to prompt a response or use of the "replacement" on a different system.  

It baffles me though that they just up an decided to change the card / program without prior contact or authorization to do so.  I'm sure I've let it sit unused for more than 6 months before w/o this happening.... Ok, so I went into Quicken to check that validity and it does seem I tend to use it every month in the past for something.  

I just haven't seen this with them before being posted by any other sources.  DFS is stable as a rock like many other lenders outside of the quirky CLI practices when it comes to the product / AA.  They already nerfed all of the perks outside of the categories... The MILES version is alright for the first year 3% but, outside of that I already have a CFU and USB 365 and Amex CM.  Even have 2 @ DC from Citi.  I think I have flat cashback covered between those 5 cards.

I found it odd and wanted to let other credit nerds there might be a swap on their accounts when a new card shows up in the mail if they miss the e-mail they send out saying a new card is on the way.

Message 7 of 16
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I think Discover was trying to just be useful. It just so happened to be a fail. I recommend just letting bygones be bygones.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That’s pretty unbelievable for Disco to do that. Hopefully this is a one off and not a new thing they start doing. Many people only use their It cards for one or two categories a year, myself included, so it’s not that unusual to have a card be dormant that long. Instead of PCing people without asking, they should start sending out offers for It Miles with a sign up bonus if they want to drive growth. 

I get what you're saying, but the reality is Discover doesn't want or expect people to be SDing the card for the majority of the time and literally only using it for 5% swipes once in a blue moon. That just costs them money with no benefit.

I'm not saying I agree with this move, as I see both sides, but I think credit card issuers aren't fond of SD cards as much these days. It seems inactivity thresholds are getting shorter as card issuers want you to actually use the card. Probably a good reason for people to make sure they are not spread out too thin with cards and can actually make some use of the ones they have. 

Yes, it would be nice if they offered warning before the conversion, of course. I'm just saying I think we will start seeing this type of thing more, at least in the sense of issuers cracking down on cards sitting in the SD for months on end.

The Discover More is literally just a worse version of the IT, so there's no reason someone would want to keep a More over the IT.

Message 9 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@kdm31091 

+1

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.