cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA. Do not apply for the Prosper Card

tag
yrb

PSA. Do not apply for the Prosper Card

It's a freaking joke.. They use both your credit score AND your income/plaid (to mine your data of course). I have an ok (not great) score and good income, got approved for a ridiculous $500 limit. In like an hour I downloaded their app and it showed the limit was changed to $250. No emails, no warnings. And it has a fee. Of course I rejected it.  

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PSA. Do not apply for the Prosper Card

@yrb wrote:

It's a freaking joke.. They use both your credit score AND your income/plaid (to mine your data of course). I have an ok (not great) score and good income, got approved for a ridiculous $500 limit. In like an hour I downloaded their app and it showed the limit was changed to $250. No emails, no warnings. And it has a fee. Of course I rejected it.  

All credit cards use your score and income to make a decision. How did you not know it had a fee before you applied? 

Message 2 of 21
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I just went to their site and it clearly mentions that there's a $39 AF that would be waived for the first year if you sign up for their Auto Pay before your first statement cuts.

And just from looking around their website, I don't see that they're really any worse than many sub-prime card issuers out there. In fact, their APR of 26.49% is better than a lot of sub-prime issuers and their AF is less than most and that seems to be their only fee (without combing thru the site with a fine tooth comb).

I don't know enough about them to either recommend them or say to avoid them, but on the surface they seem like a halfway decent option for an unsecured card to help in rebuilding credit.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 3 of 21
vinblastine
Valued Member

Your limit was still $500. They only let you use half of your credit limit until you receive the actual card. It happened to me and I was a little upset so I called them and they explained the process. They also offer personal loans.

Message 4 of 21
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Well, I mean they are a Sub-Prime lender/card. So, unfortunately low limits and AF's come with those as part of the re-building process.

Message 5 of 21
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yrb wrote:

All credit cards use your score and income to make a decision. How did you not know it had a fee before you applied? 

Not all cards use plaid though

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yrb wrote:

I am a card collector. I wanted an "orange" MC or Visa. I have been on the lookout for awhile for one. Well this one is the orange card I have been after. It said the first year the $39 AF is not charged if you sign up for auto pay.

OK , I  know Prosper is a person to person lending company with a good reputation so I went for the card. The did go though my main checking account besides running a HP on my credit report. I dont like them going through all aspects of my checking  but it is Prosper so I went for it. Approved for a $3,000 CL. For me that is very very low LOL. I dont remember having a SL that low but it is their maximum for a new account.

Well I got my orange cardSmiley Tongue

If I can find another orange card in a year before this one renews with no AF I will go for it and cancel this one out. But for now and for free it served what I was looking for. 

I did a test charge and paid it right away. They gave me instant credit back to my original CL. If it was a real sub prime lender they would have held the payment against available credit for a week to ten days. This did not happen here.

I think that the Prosper card is for all credit levels and not a sub prime card. They will accept low credit scores so I think this is an excellent card for a re builder. And for us with a high FICO score and thick profile and in need of an orange card this card is for everyoneSmiley Happy

Thanks

Mark

Message 7 of 21
jcooks
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yrb wrote:

I am a card collector. I wanted an "orange" MC or Visa. I have been on the lookout for awhile for one. Well this one is the orange card I have been after. It said the first year the $39 AF is not charged if you sign up for auto pay.

OK , I  know Prosper is a person to person lending company with a good reputation so I went for the card. The did go though my main checking account besides running a HP on my credit report. I dont like them going through all aspects of my checking  but it is Prosper so I went for it. Approved for a $3,000 CL. For me that is very very low LOL. I dont remember having a SL that low but it is their maximum for a new account.

Well I got my orange cardSmiley Tongue

If I can find another orange card in a year before this one renews with no AF I will go for it and cancel this one out. But for now and for free it served what I was looking for. 

I did a test charge and paid it right away. They gave me instant credit back to my original CL. If it was a real sub prime lender they would have held the payment against available credit for a week to ten days. This did not happen here.

I think that the Prosper card is for all credit levels and not a sub prime card. They will accept low credit scores so I think this is an excellent card for a re builder. And for us with a high FICO score and thick profile and in need of an orange card this card is for everyoneSmiley Happy

Thanks

Mark

Utah First Orange Platinum Visa is a no AF that is orange.  It is a credit union and you have to donate to the Community Volunteers of Utah to get in.  I don't know much about this, just googled some orange credit cards lol.

Message 8 of 21
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would personally never apply for a card that requires Plaid access into your bank accounts.

Message 9 of 21
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous isn't the Home Depot card orange?  I know the old Commercial Revolving charge was. I haven't looked at it in several years tho.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.