Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA - Mastercard Black "Luxury" Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSA - Mastercard Black "Luxury" Card

PSA - Mastercard Black "Luxury" Card offers are being sent out again this year. Like clockwork, every August.

Begs a question, has anyone received an invite to their Gold card? Apparently its a 24K gold plated card.

Read more at TPG - 

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/are-the-new-luxury-cards-worth-it/

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: PSA - Mastercard Black "Luxury" Card

The general consensus here is that they are trash cards not worth the annual fee.

As always everyone’s needs are different and different cards benefit each other, but IMO they are stupid expensive for the little benefits you get.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I can't tell you whether I've been "invited" to apply for the Gold or not. I get Luxury Card ads in the mail but toss them without opening them. The envelopes are black, though, so maybe it's for the Black.

They're not cards that try to seriously compete on value. They're about marketing a luxury image to people who don't know any better - or, I suppose, savvy people who want to impress people who don't know any better.

Some people used to get value by getting AF waivers every year, calling to complain or via SCRA. I think SCRA waivers are gone and that requests for waived fees are now less likely to succeed.  Someone mentioned having a relative who got an offer for Gold wtih a waiver 1st year fee.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I can't tell you whether I've been "invited" to apply for the Gold or not. I get Luxury Card ads in the mail but toss them without opening them. The envelopes are black, though, so maybe it's for the Black.

They're not cards that try to seriously compete on value. They're about marketing a luxury image to people who don't know any better - or, I suppose, savvy people who want to impress people who don't know any better.

Some people used to get value by getting AF waivers every year, calling to complain or via SCRA. I think SCRA waivers are gone and that requests for waived fees are now less likely to succeed.  Someone mentioned having a relative who got an offer for Gold wtih a waiver 1st year fee.

Despite of this insider tip, I dont think I will ever be interested in this card unless, they offer something that no other card issuer provides, idk, something like an exclusive chance to meet Warren Buffet or something lol.

Message 4 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Buffett might tell you to drop the card and buy another five B shares a year with the savings.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I've gotten a couple of "invites" in the past and while they are pretty to look at, they end up being shredded 🗑️
Message 6 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I was just reading this thread this morning, and when I got home, I got one in the mail. It's funny that the front and center feature of the card versus the competition is its physical weight. 22g versus Amex Platinum's 18g!

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar, I'd imagine shredding a Sir Barclays Luxury card/mailer is very hazardous to your shredder 😆
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

24k gold plated cards scratch very easily from normal usage, to the point that you won't want to use it more than a few times a year. 

Message 9 of 11
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

So my dad actually has the gold card. He got it probably 3 years ago with the 1st year waived and then got it waived the second year. Not sure this year and beyond but he still uses it pretty regularly. Hes a self made company owner and he got it basically for the "because i can" factor and I think it gives him some pride in a weird way that he was able to build his company and can now afford this super expensive card even if the rewards are basically nill. I will admitt though ive made quite a few "hows that $1000" taste remarks go but he just laughs
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.