Not applicable

Paid off credit card and it gave me a negatiive score

How long does this last?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off credit card and it gave me a negatiive score

Do you have any credit cards currently reporting with a balance?

How many credit cards (visa, mc, discover, amex, store, gas) do you have?

You need to have a small balance on 1 card (just $10-20) in order to help your score.  Remember that FICO is about risk to the lender.  And if you DON'T use your credit, that is a risk....to profit.  So FICO looks and grades that you have recent use of credit card (recent use means a reported balance).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was card that I didn't payoff from 3 years ago but I just recently paid it off, the account was closed a long time ago so I pay it off and then my score falls off the deep end how long does that affect last
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you paid the account, the creditor updated the report as PAID, but this also gave it a recently reported date, meaning that the late payment is more recent.

It would have been better to attempt to have done a Pay For Delete when paying an old account like that.  It's hard to say how long it will be affected, but it is going to take some time.  You might try writing a Good Will letter to the creditor on this and see if they go for it.  If so, then the derog will be fixed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.