cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay American Express right away or wait?

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay American Express right away or wait?

If this is your first AMEX card, they are very picky when you add your first checking account to the system it will only allow you to make first payment then you can't make another payment for 30 days or untill a payment is actually due. You can push money from your checking account to make more payments. 

After the first month you can make as many payments as you want.  I pay my charge card once a month a couple days before the statement cuts, I like having the extra money in my checking account. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay American Express right away or wait?

@Revelate wrote:
CA: it's actually FICO '98 rather than TU which has the issue of counting charge cards in the revolving utilization metric.

That said, I am firmly in the once a month camp if your internal limit supports your spend rate. The vast majority of people use their charge/credit cards this way, standing out is usually not good when it comes to one's finances. Lenders like predictability, though as RR proves, FICO doesn't care.

As you see, opinions vary, but I tend to agree with this approach. I wait for my statement to cut and then PIF within a few days, well ahead of the due date. I think that this presents a fairly typical, ho-hum customer image to Amex.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.