cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off chase freedom before asking for cli?

tag
Scott90
Contributor

Pay off chase freedom before asking for cli?

Hey guys quick question... I would like to use my chase freedom card for a purchase but need a cli to do so. The card used to be a chase + but was upgraded. I've had this card since 2008 and it has a sad CL of 1500. Nothing compared to multiple other cards over 10k. Kinda annoys me the card I've had the longest is one of my smallest. Anyways my overall UTL is about 10%... But on this card alone it's a lot higher cuz I take advantage of my low interest rate with this card (4%!!). Out of the 1500 limit I have about 1100 on it. Now I want to call, I am assuming I need to call a analyst and not a CSR... Correct? When I call should I just explain how I want to make a large purchase and take advantage of the cards benefits or will they automatically not want to help since its charged almost to its current max?

The other option is I can just pay it off fully and then ask.... But if I go that route can I pay it off like now and be able to call right away and they see that or will I have to wait for it to actually post onto my reports? Just looking for some advice, I think it is ridiculous that this cards limit is so low when I've been with them for so long. Almost as bad as my cap one set at 750... Also from 2008, lol.

Well as always thanks in advance for any advice!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay off chase freedom before asking for cli?

Your need to  call a CSR first and THEN call backdoor number to Recon or ask for a higher CL.  

Yes, pay the balance and wait for several days after it has posted. This will definitely you get a higher CLI.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 2 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:
Hey guys quick question... I would like to use my chase freedom card for a purchase but need a cli to do so. The card used to be a chase + but was upgraded. I've had this card since 2008 and it has a sad CL of 1500. Nothing compared to multiple other cards over 10k. Kinda annoys me the card I've had the longest is one of my smallest. Anyways my overall UTL is about 10%... But on this card alone it's a lot higher cuz I take advantage of my low interest rate with this card (4%!!). Out of the 1500 limit I have about 1100 on it. Now I want to call, I am assuming I need to call a analyst and not a CSR... Correct? No, you can just call CSR for CLI requests. You call backdoor only if you feel that they didn't give you enough, or your request got denied entirely. When I call should I just explain how I want to make a large purchase and take advantage of the cards benefits or will they automatically not want to help since its charged almost to its current max? No they will not deny you just because of that. They'll look at your CR and your account standing with them. They like it when you can use a lot. All they're concerned with is whether you have the ability to repay them, and the odds of it happening.

The other option is I can just pay it off fully and then ask.... But if I go that route can I pay it off like now and be able to call right away and they see that or will I have to wait for it to actually post onto my reports? It's best you wait for it to be posted onto your CR. Your score will go up once the new utilization is posted, and you probably will get a bigger CLI that way. They can verify your balance if you do it now, and you probably will still get a CLI, but just not as much as you potentially could have otherwise. Just looking for some advice, I think it is ridiculous that this cards limit is so low when I've been with them for so long. Almost as bad as my cap one set at 750... Also from 2008, lol.

Well as always thanks in advance for any advice!

Answered in red.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Are you prepared to take a HP for CLI?

Have you looked into your CLI options with CapitalOne?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 5
Scott90
Contributor

Haven't really considered cap one because it seems like people who request a limit increase always get a rebuttal for like half of what they are asking and I would actually want close to 10k at least. Figured they were a loss cause.

And yes I am ready for a HP, credit score is high 700's and no future house purchase or anything like that in site.

Thx for advice so far guys!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.