Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: PayPal Key being discontinued

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Sigh. I call dibs on locking this thread 

I just don't know which time zone to use to lock it, the only one that matters or the other obscure ones 

Well, for those of us on the East Coast, the PPK clock is ticking for another ~20 mins. So, midnight EST?  Yes, the one that matters 😂

Y'all on PST have 3 extra hours to splurge on PPK!

Denied! 

Oh Snap.gif

Ohhhh, you're about to feel da powah of da breadstik!

How come UncleB is approved and my request is denied. I want answers lol

So you'd bust out breadstick? 

Also, you mentioned east coast 🙄

Message 81 of 90
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Well, they haven't pulled it yet... it's still in my app and on my dashboard (on a computer).

Of course that doesn't mean they're still approving new charges... 🤔

Message 82 of 90
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I paid a bunch of things last night and today.

None of them required PPK but that was my revenge. I hope I caused them at least $1.00, loss!!!  

Message 83 of 90
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Sigh. I call dibs on locking this thread 

I just don't know which time zone to use to lock it, the only one that matters or the other obscure ones 

Well, for those of us on the East Coast, the PPK clock is ticking for another ~20 mins. So, midnight EST?  Yes, the one that matters 😂

Y'all on PST have 3 extra hours to splurge on PPK!

Denied! 

Oh Snap.gif

Ohhhh, you're about to feel da powah of da breadstik!

How come UncleB is approved and my request is denied. I want answers lol

So you'd bust out breadstick? 

Also, you mentioned east coast 🙄

Yup, breadstik always works...well, most times anyway 😐

And, yes East Coast 😁

R.I.P. PPK

Message 84 of 90
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

Well, they haven't pulled it yet... it's still in my app and on my dashboard (on a computer).

Of course that doesn't mean they're still approving new charges... 🤔

Maybe they'll reverse course...NOT! 😂 

Wishful thinking 😜

Well the notice stated "Starting April 20, 2022, you will no longer be able to use your PPK VCs."  It's already past midnight here on the Time Zone that matters...so maybe a little longer?

Message 85 of 90
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No reason to be hopeful but another great pp trick, pp biz debit linked to ppcbmc, lasted months after the posted shutdown date.

Message 86 of 90
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

But.....  As a big-time gambler (kids, don't try this at home!) I tried a $5 on Paypal Billpay.    My Cash+ was charged just $5.   Next step is to see if the whole $5 gets credited (what WILL eversource do with all that money!) but I assume that it will.   If so, this will allow us to save $2.50 a few times a year.   FREE MONEY.    Thanks for pointing this out @Anonymous 

I made a $10 payment to the propane company for the same purpose, also using the Cash+.  Depending on the MCC that's passed on it could trigger the 5% category, although I'm not betting on it. 

As long as the payment 'works' this method will still be useful during the Paypal quarters on Freedom/Disco.

I hope @UncleB found the same, but it just posted on my Cash+ and the MCC is indeed the correct one.   So this seems to be a fee-free way to pay, so long as your biller is in the list.    One caveat though, don't see the credit on my bill though, I assume it takes a few days.  Otherwise it's a good way to get credit card rewards while losing the rest of the money!

I think it's awesome - but under-appreciated - that US Bank let us see the exact MCC of every purchase on their cards, via the Download feature. 

I'm seeing the same thing as the rest of you with Bill Pay. US bank gives it the MCC of the underlying payee. Cool! Bye-bye surcharges for paying utility bills by CC. 

Message 87 of 90
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Huge bummer, I missed the news until I saw the email today.  I used PPK all the time.  It looks like the contactless option can only be funded out of the paypal account which can only be loaded via a bank account, if I am reading that correctly.  Going to be harder to hit those caps on PayPal quarters. 

Message 88 of 90
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Well, being a very methodical person (why use a spreadsheet when you can use 10 for error detection) I had carefully removed all my PPK recurring billings.     So I was a little surprised to get a "credit card declined" message from a vendor yesterday.   OK, may have missed that one I guess!

And while in confession mode, I paid for something with USAlliance, and soon after got their RTR-lite feature.    Redeem 5000 points for $30!

Sounds great, usually you only get $50 for 5000 points, and I had already clicked by the time I realized.

While I had a reasonable excuse (I was an inpatient on rather too much steriod dose) that lost $20 will haunt me forever as I have always been amazed at people using pay with points when the rate is subpar.

Message 89 of 90
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Since the day has finally come (and gone) for the Paypal Key to be officially discontinued this thread is closed. Smiley Sad

Message 90 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.