cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal MasterCard. Have anyone successfully able to set the cash advance limit to $0?

tag
Vu
Frequent Contributor

PayPal MasterCard. Have anyone successfully able to set the cash advance limit to $0?

I called customer service and told it could not be done Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PayPal MasterCard. Have anyone successfully able to set the cash advance limit to $0?

I didn't think there was an option for any of the SYNCB majors, including PPMC.

Message 2 of 13
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Re: PayPal MasterCard. Have anyone successfully able to set the cash advance limit to $0?

@FinStar wrote:

I didn't think there was an option for any of the SYNCB majors, including PPMC.

Thank you.  Good to know.  I supposed that Synchrony want/encourage their customers to take out cash Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Vu wrote:

Did you ask them if it could be set to a lower limit, like $20-$50-$100?

Mine says Cash Advance Limit $2500, I'd love to have down to even $100. I've used my PPMC to fund new bank accounts a couple times and so have lucked out with them posting as a purchase.

Message 4 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

So I was logged into my account and decided to try Chat, it's now an animated bot named Sydney. So I type in "I want to lower my Cash Advance limit" and Sydney came back with "Do I understand you want to lower your credit limit?" I typed in No! and exited Chat. Smiley Very Happy

So I called, rep was very good and also told me they cannot lower my CA limit, but he told me you cannot get cash at an ATM without a PIN and I never set one up. He asked if I wanted to set up a PIN and I told me No thank you, I never do cash advances on a CC.

So I just need to be careful funding new bank accounts with the card, but I use Reddit & Doctor of Credit for data points that it will code as a purchase.

Message 5 of 13
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Vu wrote:

Did you ask them if it could be set to a lower limit, like $20-$50-$100?

Mine says Cash Advance Limit $2500, I'd love to have down to even $100. I've used my PPMC to fund new bank accounts a couple times and so have lucked out with them posting as a purchase.

The CSR tells me that no way to change it as the cash advance is set at 20% of the CL. 🤦‍♂️

Message 6 of 13
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ 

My brother asked me if he can give me the cash and use my PPMC to make payments on his auto loans.  He said the bank that services his auto loan does accept credit card payment.  I said to double-check with the bank while I see if I can set the cash advance on the PPMC to zero just to make sure.  But Synchrony is not going to give me any satisfaction 🤣.

Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Easiest way for me to lower it is simply pretend it doesnt existSmiley Wink. Honestly only card i concern myself on using a CA would be my Credit Union cards like Navy. They dont frown on its usageSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Vu wrote:

@DaveInAZ 

My brother asked me if he can give me the cash and use my PPMC to make payments on his auto loans.  He said the bank that services his auto loan does accept credit card payment.  I said to double-check with the bank while I see if I can set the cash advance on the PPMC to zero just to make sure.  But Synchrony is not going to give me any satisfaction 🤣.

If you're willing to let him use your PPMC to make payments, why do you want to lower the CA amount?  Added security in case of a lapse of judgement on his part?  Just curious.  Smiley Happy

I assume you'd be keeping the 2% cash back?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 13
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

@Vu wrote:

@DaveInAZ 

If you're willing to let him use your PPMC to make payments, why do you want to lower the CA amount?  Added security in case of a lapse of judgement on his part?  Just curious.  Smiley Happy

I assume you'd be keeping the 2% cash back?

Setting the cash advance to zero to avoid the potential of the payment to be processed as a cash advance.

No, I am not keeping the 2%, he asked me about using my card so he can save $200 off by paying $10K to the bank.  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.