cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal just approved me for my 1st unsecured card!

tag
tobey
Contributor

PayPal just approved me for my 1st unsecured card!

Last night I was checking on a few things in my PayPal account and just couldn't help but notice the "PayPal Plus MasterCard: Get a 30 second decision!" ad at the top. It's a soft pull, so I filled it out for shiggles fully expecting to be denied. But wait, it told me to call the credit department to complete my application? That's new.

So today I called the number PayPal gave me, it rang twice and some guy picked up. Unexpected. I told him I'm calling to complete my app, and he immediately asked for my full SSN, which really concerned me, but I was sure I called the right number so I gave it to him. He then transferred me to the "applications department" and the guy who picked up sounded suspiciously like the last guy from the "service department"... He asked a few questions to verify my identity and said I'm approved with a $2000 CL and should have the card in about a week!

So yeah, their phone application process definitely left me feeling a bit uneasy. But I'm still happy! Just 6 months ago I had no credit history and could barely get anyone to approve me for secured cards...

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
blazerein
Established Contributor

Re: PayPal just approved me for my 1st unsecured card!

Congrats on the new card !!!

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 2 of 18
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 18
smc733
Valued Contributor

This card doesn't require a hard pull?  Are you sure?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is definitely a hard pull

Message 5 of 18
tobey
Contributor

Thanks gang! No, there will definitly be a hard pull. I was talking about their "30 second decision" thing. I thought it was a soft pull, although now I'm wondering if it was...

Message 6 of 18
tobey
Contributor

Got the card yesterday, and it sure is sparkley... But it's not linking up to my PayPal account for some reason so I can't activate it or manage it online. So now I'll have to call them to activate it and get them to link it to my PayPal account. But I've been reading horror stories on PayPal's own message boards about people being bounced around by PayPal CSRs for up to two hours trying to get this very issue resolved. Seems PayPal's customer service is pretty bad, and my somewhat shady experience when first applying for the card reinforces that.

I don't know, this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'm considering just sock drawering the thing since I was approved for an Amex (which I love!) the day after I was approved for this. After reading some of these complaints, I'm even half tempted to cancel it.

I guess I'll call them today see how bad it goes before I make a decision...

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats! Smiley Happy

Do you have a link to that 30-seconds soft pull?

Message 8 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

there is no soft pull, it's a hard pull and you can get a decision in as little as 30 seconds.

but congrats on the card, that is a very nice limit for paypal card with GE

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy a small thing or two on ebay every other month and pay it off right when it post? Treat the AMEX right. They're not half bad if you're in for the long haul.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.