Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Discover Early

tag
Inscorehell
Valued Member

Paying Discover Early

I was recently approved for a Discover secured card. Will the online system allow me to make a payment  for part of my balance before my first statement cuts?  I realize I will still owe a payment once the statement does cut.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

Re: Paying Discover Early

I've never had a problem paying before the statement date nor have I had problems making multiple payments in a cycle.
Message 2 of 9
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Felony_Phil wrote:
I've never had a problem paying before the statement date nor have I had problems making multiple payments in a cycle.

+1, neither have I. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 9
Inscorehell
Valued Member

Thank you.

Message 4 of 9
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Back when my Discover was still secured with only a $500 limit, I occasionally ran over $2000 through it within a month period. But my actual statements never showed more than $50 owed.  I obviously was able to make multiple payments within that period.  If a balance is shown on your online account, you can make a payment towards it on any day you like no matter what your last statement said or when the next one will cut.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just push it from your checking bill pay. Done
Message 6 of 9
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Based on my personal experience. If you want early graduation from Discover. Don't use the card heavily.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vu I disagree based on other threads.
No one seems to have cracked the formula but it seems that many have used Disco heavily and still graduated on-time or early. While others have had opposite experiences.
It seems like there are a lot of things that go into play but using the card heavily doesn't necessarily mean a longer period of security.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be fine.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.