cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Rent with CC to Earn Rewards - Which is Best?

tag
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Paying Rent with CC to Earn Rewards - Which is Best?

Hello,

My community has recently offered the ability to pay rent via credit card. I have been paying it for about 3 years using my bank account - ($2200 per month). I was wondering which of my cards would earn the best points or rewards if I used it for rent. I would like to earn for this bill and put more spend through my card. I would PIF as soon as the charges appear. Is one card better than the other or are they all about the same?

Current Cards:

Discover IT

Amex Blue Cash Everyday

Barclay's Rewards Mastercard

Capitol One Platinum

Capitol One Quick Silver

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate - No Rewards

Victoria's Secret - Not eligible lol

Thanks for your opinions!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying Rent with CC to Earn Rewards - Which is Best?

@grower1 wrote:

Hello,

My community has recently offered the ability to pay rent via credit card. I have been paying it for about 3 years using my bank account - ($2200 per month). I was wondering which of my cards would earn the best points or rewards if I used it for rent. I would like to earn for this bill and put more spend through my card. I would PIF as soon as the charges appear. Is one card better than the other or are they all about the same?

Current Cards:

Discover IT

Amex Blue Cash Everyday

Capitol One Platinum

Capitol One Quick Silver

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate - No Rewards

Does the landlord charge a fee? I would go with the citi double cash or open a new discover it miles to get 2-3% back in the first year. Or open the American Express Platinum(Charles Schwab) you can cash out the 60k sign up bonus for $750 if you have a schwab brokerage. Lots to consider, but think abut added processing fee vs standard rewards.

Message 2 of 11
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I don't know the rewards structure of the Barclay's but of the others listed the Quicksilver with 1.5% would be your best choice.  The IT, BCE, Freedom are all 1% for non-category spend.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 11
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. A lot to consider indeed. I don't see any mention of fees in the fine print. It looks like the payment portal is powered by Wells Fargo. I don't have a Schwab brokerage account. However, I have pre-approvals for the standard Amex Platinum and Citi Double Cash. 

Also my Discover IT card is new, the 1st statement hasn't cut yet. I've run 175 through it and PIF. I'm not savvy with utilizing my points but I'm trying to learn more. The Discover IT offer says - Cashback Match™: We'll match all the Cashback Bonus you earn between now and Apr 24, 2019, dollar for dollar. I'm assuming this would be similar to the Citi Double Cash rewards but only for 1 year?

All other cards are too old to qualify for a sign on bonus. 

Message 4 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@grower1 wrote:

Hello,

Current Cards:

Discover IT

Amex Blue Cash Everyday

Capitol One Platinum

Capitol One Quick Silver

Chase Freedom

Chase Slate - No Rewards

Right off the bat, take out platinum, slate, and vs since there's no rewards.

Discover and Barclays equate to $22 a month with Barclay requiring you to redeem in multiples of $10.

Freedom and amex require redemption through their sites. Both equate to $22 unless your rent falls into one of their categories somehow. At that point, chase limits you to $1500 or $75. Amex would be $44.

Qs will give you $33 cash every month.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grower1 wrote:

Thank you. A lot to consider indeed. I don't see any mention of fees in the fine print. It looks like the payment portal is powered by Wells Fargo. I don't have a Schwab brokerage account. However, I have pre-approvals for the standard Amex Platinum and Citi Double Cash. 

Also my Discover IT card is new, the 1st statement hasn't cut yet. I've run 175 through it and PIF. I'm not savvy with utilizing my points but I'm trying to learn more. The Discover IT offer says - Cashback Match™: We'll match all the Cashback Bonus you earn between now and Apr 24, 2019, dollar for dollar. I'm assuming this would be similar to the Citi Double Cash rewards but only for 1 year?

All other cards are too old to qualify for a sign on bonus. 

With Discover, if you are in your first year, this equates to the 2% of Citi Double cash. The Platimum of American express makes sense if you are going to travel, but if this is for cash back, there are a few cards where you can hit $500 back for this minimum spend (citi premier, chase sapphire preferred, chase INK). Does the land lord cash advance your card to pay rent? That may negate the purchases as well. You have options, moreover, if there is no fee, any rewards or cash back is better than paying cash (extra interest or return earned on the cash). I wish I could pay my mortage easily with credit card without a fee.

Message 6 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Check the fine print, because most mortgage/rent payment systems have a fee attached usually 3-5%.  Try a couple of payments with the QS and make sure no strings are attached before applying for a new card.

1.5% = 2200*0.015*12 = 396/yr

2%    = 2200*0.020*12 = 528/yr

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay my rent with an Alliant card (unless I'm churning a new card).

3% back first year.  The fee is 2% so it backs out well.

Message 8 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Rather than just looking at the fine print, call the property manager and ask them whether a fee will be charged for using a credit card.

If they are just adding the credit card service recently, I am nearly 100% certain there will be a fee.

The first time you try to pay with a credit card, it should be obvious, so allow time to back track to use your checking account and not get late fees on the rent payment.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 11
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

NRB525 is correct.  I would be very surprised if you don't find that a service fee will be charged for credit card transactions at the time of payment. These fees are usually equal to a percentage of your total payment. YMMV, but AMEX will be the highest.  About 3% versus Visa and MC at 2.5%.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.