Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying my PenFed VISA with USAA Checking

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying my PenFed VISA with USAA Checking

So I've done my "due diligence" and searched these boards about all the issues with trying to transfer money to PenFed accounts in the first 6-months. 

Lots of discussion about "pushing" and "pulling" and "holding" and opening a checking account and pushing stuff to the checking and then to the CC. The whole discussion makes my head spin and I don't want another checking account if I don't need one. 

When I go under my bill pay option on USAA's website and try and add a new "Payee" it gives me two options for PenFed: the first is "PENTAGON FCU" and the second is "PENTAGON FCU VISA/MASTERCARD". 

Does anyone know if you use USAA's bill pay option how quickly money is credited to the PenFed Visa? I'm hoping since it has it's own little designation that it is not going to be held for 9 days.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Paying my PenFed VISA with USAA Checking

@Anonymous wrote:

So I've done my "due diligence" and searched these boards about all the issues with trying to transfer money to PenFed accounts in the first 6-months. 

Lots of discussion about "pushing" and "pulling" and "holding" and opening a checking account and pushing stuff to the checking and then to the CC. The whole discussion makes my head spin and I don't want another checking account if I don't need one. 

When I go under my bill pay option on USAA's website and try and add a new "Payee" it gives me two options for PenFed: the first is "PENTAGON FCU" and the second is "PENTAGON FCU VISA/MASTERCARD". 

Does anyone know if you use USAA's bill pay option how quickly money is credited to the PenFed Visa? I'm hoping since it has it's own little designation that it is not going to be held for 9 days.  

You will be effected if you are in the first six months of membership. The funds are not held - they are directly posted to the account and reduce the balance on the account. However, your available credit will not be increased until ten days after the payment is received. Most people with PenFed CC's have a sufficiently high CL that this should not be a real big problem.

Message 2 of 10
wajj
Contributor

I have had no problem at all with money crediting to my PenFed Visa from an external account (I have done it from 2 external accounts, both payments initiated from the PenFed website).  I pay it and it is credited the same day I pay it.  However, the available balance on my Visa does not reflect the payment for 10 days, even though that payment shows on my statement.  I have had the card for 4 months.

I think there is much worry over a little thing, unless you are charging close to your limit every month and need that payment to register on your available balance immediately -- then I would say there is more to worry about.

Yes, I look forward to my 6 month anniversary when this stops.  But, I'm willing to live with it in exchange for $20 cash back per month credited instantly.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's easy enough......with a $20K CL I'm pretty sure the 10-day wait on the available CL will not effect me.

Thanks for the quick and simple answer.  

Message 4 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I had no problem paying my credit card using an outside checking account but my account was set up more than 2 years ago. You know for a supposed "prime" lender Penfed sure is exhibiting subprime behaviour.
Message 5 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Not exactly. Not very many subprime issuers out there routinely tossing around $10K+ CL's.
Message 6 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

High credit limits are not the only criteria.
Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, it seems that they have gotten burned by a substantial number of new members, so it looks like they're trying to put the brakes on initially. Maybe they think that those who are likely to abuse the card will be discouraged by the waiting period or something.

OP, I pay from the PenFed website ("pulling" the money in.) I use my USAA checking account for this purpose. Since I don't have it set up on the USAA Bill Pay site, I can't tell you how it shows on this end, but I'm guessing that you want to choose the PENFED MC/ VISA option. I can't remember --did you get another loan product from PenFed? --auto loan, LOC, etc. Maybe that's what the other account name is for.

I * think * I remember from all the posts that even though your available credit isn't restored for 10 days, your payment is credited sooner, so you should be able to PIF a few days before statement time to have $0 reporting, if you want to do that.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
High credit limits are not the only criteria.

Could you enumerate the other ways in which PenFed is "exhibiting subprime behavior"?

Message 9 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

So much meshugas here about how PenFed reflects payments in your available balance. I'm at discovercard.com right now making a payment and looking at the "Important Information About Make a Payment":

Important Information for Make a Payment

Make a Payment payments can be made every three days.

Payments submitted before 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time with a payment posting date of today will be posted to your Account today.

After 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, payments cannot be submitted with a posting date of that same day.

Make a Payment payments can be canceled up to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the payment posting date.

Some phone payments can be cancelled up to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on the payment posting date.

Payments scheduled for the future will post on the same day the payment is scheduled for.

The minimum Make a Payment payment is $0.01; the maximum Make a Payment payment is the current balance on your Account Summary.

For purposes of determining your available credit, we reserve the right to postpone, for up to 15 business days, reduction of your unpaid balances by the amount of any payment we receive.

We reserve the right to cancel the Make a Payment feature, change the terms of this feature, or cancel or suspend users of it at any time.

Payments are withdrawn from your bank account within one to three business days following the payment posting date.

Payments returned for insufficient funds may be resubmitted up to two more times for payment. A charge of up to $39.00 will be assessed only once for a returned payment regardless of the number of times that the payment is submitted.

We are not responsible for payment delays if the Web site is not available.

Does this make Discover subprime as well?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.