Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off balance question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off balance question?

I have carried a 70-80% uti on both my Marriott Boundless and Nordstrom VISA for about the past 4 months, well I just paid them both off in full. I'm just wondering, am I at risk for credit limit decreases or any AA for making such a large payment out of my ordinary? 

3 REPLIES 3
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying off balance question?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have carried a 70-80% uti on both my Marriott Boundless and Nordstrom VISA for about the past 4 months, well I just paid them both off in full. I'm just wondering, am I at risk for credit limit decreases or any AA for making such a large payment out of my ordinary? 

No way to know, but you will find out.   Smiley LOL

No more of a risk than waiting another month or paying a lesser amount.

Hope it doesn't, good luck.

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You are at no risk for simply making the large payments.  If they were to decide to balance chase you, they would do so gradually if you made smaller payments.  

As long as there are no major risk factors elsewhere in your profile you probably don't have anything to worry about.  If the balances have been high for a few months, you're certainly at less risk today than you were a month ago.

Message 3 of 4
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good credit means you have a history of paying your bills on time, and paying your credit card balances off in full is good.

If your credit card issuer subsequently takes any sort of adverse action (AA, I guess), I doubt it is a result of paying your balances off: your credit card issuer probably would have done something you didn't like anyway.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.