Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off credit cards

tag
eva322
Established Member

Paying off credit cards

So my mortgage company asked me to close most all of my credit cards so that I can get my DTI to an acceptable percent. So my question is does anyone no how much my credit scores will be affected I had to close 6 cards.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying off credit cards

Why the mortgate company want you closed all your credit card ???? that's kinda weird

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 11
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

In the short term it won't depending on your util. What matters is not really how many cc you got open (up to certain minimun), but the util. If you close some accounts that might might not change your util. if you are applying for a mortgage try to have 0% util on all your credit cards until you close and sign the papers.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

Why the mortgate company want you closed all your credit card ???? that's kinda weird

+1 never heard of this policy to approve a mortgage...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

There's 2 things, one he might have way too mych credit for his income, and they are worried he might go crazy and the house will end with a lien, and 2 he might have a high util, and they want some of the creditors to be taken care of before they are willing to lend him the money. It's just my guess since I don't know the exact situation, either he got too much credit for his income or has too high util, or both or some other factor I'm missing.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 5 of 11
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I would look for a new lender. Mortgage companies are hit and miss, IMO. Go to a bank or credit union and see if they can get you a loan without closing your cards. But you will almost certainly have to pay your cards down to $0 or close to it if you carry balances.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 11
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Close 6 cards? What does your credit profile look like? That sounds crazy to me because unless you are severely over extended right now, that is an outrageous request by a mortgage company.

Message 7 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Kutuzov do all mortgage lenders look and make sure that you dont have more credit than what you earn?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 8 of 11
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I would lol@ lender and move on. Unless that is the only lender that approve you. If that the case it's not the right time for you to buy.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Closing that many cc's seems odd to me. What is your current util? Are you perhaps buying too much house ?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.