cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off debt and credit card usage

tag
Regular Contributor

Paying off debt and credit card usage

I've recently put myself on a "financial diet" and I'm aggressively paying off the debt I have in order to (possibly) buy a condo next year.  I use my credit cards a lot for every day use, but I'd like to switch to my debit card because I think that will help my overall mindset.

Now my question is, will creditors decrease my credit lines because of my lack of usage?  I'm primarily worried about Amex and Discover.  I do also have Citi, which is a $13.5K limit, and have heard all of the stories of those who have had their accounts closed, but they raised my CL last year and are regularly sending me BT offers, so I don't think this is in the near future (but I'm not dillusional to think they'll stick it to me).

Is there anything I can do to prevent them from closing or decreasing CL b/c of my own mission to do better financially?

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
-RED
Regular Contributor

Re: Paying off debt and credit card usage

AMEX thinks that way, but if it causes you to spend more than you are able to PIF each month, then who cares!

-800 or Bust...!
Message 2 of 3
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Paying off debt and credit card usage

I use my CCs for most of my purchases every month.  I only use my debit card for certain situations (like when the cards I have are about to hit their statement date).  The protection laws regarding CCs are much better than debit cards and if your identity becomes compromised you have better recourse.  If they get a hold of your debit card you are essentially screwed if they drain your account.  CCs usually have 0% liability against fraudulent use and I think the banks watch them much more closely.  You just have to be more diligent with paying CCs off every month and not look at them being like free money.  If you know that when you use it, you have to pay it back soon.

Congrats though on taking the initiative to be debt free.  I have to say it's a wonderful feeling.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.