cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off high balance to lower utilization ratio vs. returning prod to lower the utilization ratio

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off high balance to lower utilization ratio vs. returning prod to lower the utilization ratio

Hi,

I'm wondering which of those above will lower my credit score, if either. My utilization ratio is at 30% right now, but I made a purchase and brought it up to 37%, but I want to bring the ratio back down to 30% again before my bill is due. So I'm wondering if paying off the high balance and bringing the ratio back down to 30% will have a negative effect on my credit score, or if simply returning the product I purchased would have the same impact. I'd like to keep the product, so if paying it off would have the same effect on my credit as returning the product, then I'd like to just pay it off. But something is telling me that returning the product would have a better impact on my credit score than paying off the high balance. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Paying off high balance to lower utilization ratio vs. returning prod to lower the utilization r

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering which of those above will lower my credit score, if either. My utilization ratio is at 30% right now, but I made a purchase and brought it up to 37%, but I want to bring the ratio back down to 30% again before my bill is due. So I'm wondering if paying off the high balance and bringing the ratio back down to 30% will have a negative effect on my credit score, or if simply returning the product I purchased would have the same impact. I'd like to keep the product, so if paying it off would have the same effect on my credit as returning the product, then I'd like to just pay it off. But something is telling me that returning the product would have a better impact on my credit score than paying off the high balance. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Once the balance reports, FICO doesn't care how you got there, whether it was through paying it down or by having a purchase reversed.

Returning the product has (at least) two potential issues:

1) Timing.   It takes some time to get the return credited, so you need to make sure that this happens before it reports

2) Rewards: If you got rewards, these usually will be reversed as well, whereas paying down the balance obviously lets you keep the rewards

Also, make sure it even matters.   Are you apping for something significant?  If not, the utilization hit doesn't really matter at all.    If you are paying interest though, it makes sense to pay down if you can

Message 2 of 3
brother7
Established Contributor

Re: Paying off high balance to lower utilization ratio vs. returning prod to lower the utilization r

I was going to reply until I read longtimelurker's response. He hit all the key points. I would ponder over what he said.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.