Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying rent/bluebird/vanilla reloads and credit cards

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Paying rent/bluebird/vanilla reloads and credit cards

@Fico2Go wrote:
Im waiting for my Netspend card to arrive this week. It too can load via walmart cashiers as well as most gas stations. Im going to try the debit plus pin route.

Funny thing today I played stupid for 15 minutes at our local supermarket. I took a reload card to the register and three cashiers couldnt figure out why the payment wouldnt go through. They even changed registers and no luck. Manager came and no luck. Payment not accepted.

I tried another Cc still not accepted.

after 15 minutes the mgr noticed the word CASH ONLY on the card and so we agree its a cash only sale.

Tomorrow I'll go back with the GCs I purchased today and try to use debit plus pin. See how far this gets me.

Same here, but the registers will accept a CC transaction, however the cashiers won't run it.  These days, all reloadable and Prepay GCs (except when in Office Depot) accept only cash, not even a debit card with a pin #.

Message 11 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

There seems to have been regional (and some chain-wide) clamp-downs at Walmart.   One thing enforced everywhere since the beginning of this year is that Walmart gift cards cannot be used to purchase Visa cards, on or off line.  (This was a great way of cashing out Thank You rewards.  You can still sell the cards but at a bigger loss).  

And some areas are refusing to load bluebirds with gift cards, only taking "real" debit cards with your name on.   This seems to depend on the cashier and store policies, as it apparently is not blocked by the register.   Also, where it is allowed, a $500 limit has been imposed after which they ask for ID.

Worse, some stores refuse gift cards for buying money orders, which as mentioned above, has been a staple way of cashing out.

But for OP, if possible, go for VR/Bluebird first.   This seems impossible to find in some areas, but in others there is no problem.  (5 CVS near me seem to be always stocked these days).  You can then do bill pay for the rent in one check.   With a 1% card, you still make a tiny profit, with better cards more.

If no VR route, the use AP first as it is free, if you have someone you can send it to who can return it (withdraw to their bank account and give you a check.  NOT the same bank account for max safety).   Then either write the full check from your account (having made a profit on $1000) or buy a gift card and see if you can use it for a money order.  (You probably still can, but you might want to buy a smaller one first just to check).   If you are able to do this, deposit MO into your bank account and pay rent by check.

Message 12 of 19
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

In my case yesterday the register was coded to reject CC payment.

Today I'll go back and try a GC debit plus pin and see how
it goes.

If unsuccessful I'll try my real bank debit plus pin.

If that fails I'll just wait for my netspend to arrive and take it to all the walmarts, kmarts, supermarkets, and gas stations to reload using debit plus pin.
Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 13 of 19
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Dear Friends, I will not respond or post any specifics related to MSing or how-Tos anymore as this is a sensitive subject.  This site has CCC advertisers and we certainly want to error on the s ide of winning.  Smiley Happy

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 14 of 19
Kate8196
New Visitor

Do you have a bluebird card?
Message 15 of 19
Kate8196
New Visitor

Does anyone have a Bluebird card from Walmart???
Message 16 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Williampaid works, but they charge a fee.  

Try these "fee free" methods first.

1.  Open a Serve or Bluebird - Allows you to send via Bill Pay a check directly payable to your landlord.

2.  Serve - Load up to $1,000 with CC - counts for spend requirments, and has no cash advance fee.  Or, Bluebird, load with VR, if available.

3.  Amzn payments of up to $1,000, which can be ACH'ed to Serve for Bill pay.

So, for example, let's say your rent is $1,500.  Load $1,000 into serve with your CC.  Amzn payment $500 (or, up to $1,000), and ACH $500 into Serve, giving you $1,500 to send to your Landlord.

You can do this every month to earn a rebate on your rent, student loans, or any bills you have which takes bill pay.

Thanks for the info.  I've actually read up on the Bluebird option from the PointsGuy and signed up for it last week.  Still waiting for the card to arrive so i can activate the account, but now it's a matter of where and how many Vanilla reloads I can find around in my area.  I've been paying my CCs for rent for the past few months, but the service charge everytime costs $59bucks which i wanted to look for alternate route. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 17 of 19
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Kate8196 wrote:
Does anyone have a Bluebird card from Walmart???

Posters be careful saying yes to this !!!!!

BlueBird Card from Walmart?

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 18 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.