Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying taxes with credit card

tag
GrandBaker
Contributor

Paying taxes with credit card

Hey folks, I recently got the United Quest credit card. It has a 100K miles SUB after $10K spend in 6 months. I owe roughly that much on taxes this year so was thinking of paying it off using this new card. Of course, the next day I plan to pay off the credit card in full using the funds in my savings account. I understand the downside is it will cost me around $200 to $250 in service fee but what else am I missing? I have never paid taxes using a credit card so wondering. Any insight is very much appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Paying taxes with credit card

I have used taxes, both federal and state of Ca to meet a Sub. With me it has always been an amex card, and not chase, so there might be diffrences, but I have never had any problems.

Message 2 of 7
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

I am not familiar with this card or the mileage program but have used my cashback card to pay taxes. You simply have to do a bit of math - As long as the value of the sub exceeds the cost of fees, all's good! Bonus if it also offsets the annual fee. Heck, I would sprint to the computer to pay the bill but I happen to be one that can draw blood from a nickel.Smiley Embarassed

Enjoy your new card and the sub!

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ocheosa wrote:

You simply have to do a bit of math - As long as the value of the sub exceeds the cost of fees, all's good! Bonus if it also offsets the annual fee.

I would also add "and there is no cheaper way to meet the min spend requirement"   and the value is better than using anyting else.  In OPs case, that may well be true, so then if the value of the miles in the SUB plus the miles earned from the spend exceeds the fees and is greater than using another (presumably existing) card, then yes, should be fine.

Message 4 of 7
GrandBaker
Contributor

Perfect! Thank you both @Andypanda and @ocheosa  for your responses. 

Message 5 of 7
GrandBaker
Contributor

Thanks @longtimelurker ! The only other way to reach the $10k spend for me is to make this my primary card for bills and daily spend. I'd still make it within the 3 and 6 month timeframes. Currently using a combination of cards (AMEX EDP, platinum and GO) and will need to switch over. I've got a good set up and was hoping to not change it. 

Message 6 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@GrandBaker  sounds like you've got a good strategy Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.