Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment snafu

tag
QCS123
Established Contributor

Payment snafu

So I have this weird issue.  I made a payment on one of my CC for $250, but it looks like the amount that was actually taken out of my bank was $25.  I double checked and the CC records the payment of $250.00 as having processed on the 11th and today is the 21st, so it has definitely processed through on both ends.  In a panic, I checked and luckily my min. payment is under $25, so that shouldn't cause any late payment issues. Do I just wait until they correct it?  (preferred because our client hasn't paid us and funds are lowish) or contact them and let them know?  I've never had anything like this happen before...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Payment snafu

I would wait and see if it corrects itself. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Personally I would call them

That’s 225 which is prone to be withdrawn at any time. I do not like not knowing when money is being withdrawn from my checking account.

If your funds are already low, this could cause a potential overdraft on your account in the future which could then cause a returned payment to a creditor.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call them—it never hurts to do so. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

My vote is to call. And I'd also call them if the error self-corrects. I'd want to know what happened and if everything is in order.

Message 5 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

You should call them right away.  No waiting around for it to fix itself.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

If the CC already shows the paid amount as $250, I would leave it as is, wait for the CCC and your checking bank to sort it out.

If you call, there is a risk you trigger more activity than is necessary to “catch up”, and possibly get a double draw of the $250 x 2.

Make sure you have extra funds in checking, just in case it does go through double.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
If the CC already shows the paid amount as $250, I would leave it as is, wait for the CCC and your checking bank to sort it out.

If you call, there is a risk you trigger more activity than is necessary to “catch up”, and possibly get a double draw of the $250 x 2.

Make sure you have extra funds in checking, just in case it does go through double.

I agree.  For those saying "call", who should OP call?  It's quite possible that the CCC did get the full amount, and something went wrong with debiting the bank account, or that the bank sent the wrong amount and the CCC credited incorrectly.    Without knowing which, calling seems liable to create more confusion.

Message 8 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

OK Ill be the contrarian here ....

Id call my checking account bank first and verify that the error wasnt at their end. Then if not, I would call the CCC

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I would get a letter from the bank that the money came out from. Get it from a branch manager. You want the details of the transaction.

Then I would call the credit card company and tell them what happened. Inform them of the letter from the bank then fax a copy if requested. Then ask the credit card company for a receipt for the payment.

Safely store both of these documents.

That way both parties are notified and they can’t blame you for anything. In the future if you get AA because of it. You have documents from both parties for a CFPB complaint

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.