cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Cashback Mastercard Rewards with sending family/friend money?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paypal Cashback Mastercard Rewards with sending family/friend money?

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
No, it's extremely accurate.  However, you wouldn't know because, as you admit, you have no experience with this whatsoever.

Stop providing false information by discrediting our responses. I said I did not have experience with PayPal Cashback Mastercard as a backup credit. I linked the buyer protection document. I do have experience with it as both a seller and buyer.

You are the one who said "It's inaccurate".  I simply used your verbage and pointed out that it is accurate.  As a seller or a buyer you wouldn't have any experience with the cash advance fee aspect.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the whole send F+F on Paypal is a confusing system.

I always seen that warning "Card may process as cash advanced" but I've personally seen credit cards (never the Paypal Cashback Card) just process the entire thing as a "purchase" and still give rewards.

The reason I was curious about the PCC Card was since it's directly linked to Paypal, if Paypal instantly would have known it's a sending of money and immediately deem it as no rewards.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I always seen that warning "Card may process as cash advanced" but I've personally seen credit cards (never the Paypal Cashback Card) just process the entire thing as a "purchase" and still give rewards.

The reason I was curious about the PCC Card was since it's directly linked to Paypal, if Paypal instantly would have known it's a sending of money and immediately deem it as no rewards.

There are numerous people here on myFICO who have been hit with CA fees and interest.  Discover doesn't.  Barclaycard Ring doesn't.  CapOne probably won't, especially if you have their perpetual $0 fee CA offers.  

But Citi, Chase and USAA will.  Wells Fargo will.  

No idea about the PP MC.  Best thing to do is give it a test.  You could call and ask, but myFICO is full of posts about people who get crazy and inaccurate answers / advice from CSRs.  

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct. The whole thing is confusing but I reached out to PayPal support before and they told me that the notice about cash advances is a CYA type of thing but that they do not report the transaction as a cash advance. I have never gotten them on either of the cards I used it for and the only reason why I am curious about whether Synchrony would code as one is because of their tight integration with PayPal as well. 

I do not really care what the other person has to say versus my own personal experience. Lots of things with PayPal tend to be a bit ambiguous. 

I would say contact Sync and have them set your cash advance limit to $0 and see. I have a feeling that it won't code as a cash advance but I don't have any need for F+F right now. 

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are numerous people here on myFICO who have been hit with CA fees and interest.  Discover doesn't.  Barclaycard Ring doesn't.  CapOne probably won't, especially if you have their perpetual $0 fee CA offers.  

But Citi, Chase and USAA will.  Wells Fargo will.  

No idea about the PP MC.  Best thing to do is give it a test.  You could call and ask, by myFICO is full of posts about people who get crazy and inaccurate answers / advice from CSRs.  

In that very same thread you linked, someone sent $9500 with an AMEX and wasn't hit with a CA. 

I found a thread where someone stated that Chase DOES NOT code as CA. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Sending-money-with-PayPal-using-discover-card/m-p/5144040/highlight/true#M1512265

The only real way to know is to test it but you shouldn't speak in absolutes because those of us with experience using this feature have had different results. 

Message 15 of 21
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are the one who said "It's inaccurate".  I simply used your verbage and pointed out that it is accurate.  As a seller or a buyer you wouldn't have any experience with the cash advance fee aspect.

I said it was inaccurate because it is not straight-up incorrect information. You were mixing rules. The distinction between friends/family and goods/services, again, has NOTHING to do with the credit card fees. This distinction is made by PayPal only to determine if the recipient is protected or not. Here, let me show you:

pp-stupid.png

Now, this, this is incorrect information:

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether you select payment for friends / family or goods / services, the recipient gets hit with a fee.  

I have been sending and receiving money in PayPal as "friends/family" countless times without a fee. Here is an example that contrasts the difference between family/friends and goods/services:

paypal-stupid-2.jpg

As you can see, as a recipient, I only got a fee on the second one.

Message 16 of 21
JSS3
Valued Contributor

FACTS:

Paypal Credit(formerly Bill Me Later) codes as a cash advance when sending friend to friend/family

Citi Double Cash codes as cash advance for the above aswell. Paypal will charge you the fee. Citi will charge you the cash advance fee on top of that. Then when your statement cuts, you get hit with the cash advance interest.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:
FACTS:

Paypal Credit(formerly Bill Me Later) codes as a cash advance when sending friend to friend/family

Citi Double Cash codes as cash advance for the above aswell. Paypal will charge you the fee. Citi will charge you the cash advance fee on top of that. Then when your statement cuts, you get hit with the cash advance interest.

Then why doesn't PayPal mention this?

"Send money with PayPal Credit.

Need to pay a friend back? You can send money in a few clicks
using your credit line with PayPal Credit.
When you use PayPal Credit to send money in US dollars (USD) PayPal charges you a flat fee of 2.9% + $.30 USD per transaction is included with your payment total.
This is the same fee you pay when you use a debit or a credit card to send money through PayPal."

I mean they have a whole page dedicated to it - https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/bml-send-money

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so it took some digging but I found my way to the terms and conditions for PayPal Credit. For some reason PayPal doesn't disclose anywhere that using PayPal Credit for F+F is a cash advance. Synchrony's terms do, however. 

https://www.synchronybankterms.com/gecrbterms/pdf/PAYPAL_CREDIT.pdf

Based on this, I would not use PayPal Cashback to send money. It will almost certainly code as a cash advance. 

Message 19 of 21
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Saeren,

I type what I know.

Paypal Credit(different from what the OP is asking about) codes as a CA when sending to friends. It was different some years back. You were able to send to friends and it not be classified as a cash advance AND you'd get the 6 months promotion. That hasn't been the case for about 3 or maybe 4 years now.

Just like Citi Double Cash wasn't a cash advance May of this year, but is now.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.