Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Debit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paypal Debit

So they're open, once again... Active business hours, 2 days after doomsday. No one has reported a removal yet, but the hours are still early. I wonder if PayPal realizes they'd lose a lot of PPBD users if they do pull it. Maybe the email was just a scare tactic to try spooking the users to swap it on their own to reduce Synchrony's complaints. Maybe their relationship is going the way of Walmart/Synch relationship and we'll all be moved to PPCBMCs issued by Cap1 or Barclaycard.

Message 31 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So they're open, once again... Active business hours, 2 days after doomsday. No one has reported a removal yet, but the hours are still early. I wonder if PayPal realizes they'd lose a lot of PPBD users if they do pull it. Maybe the email was just a scare tactic to try spooking the users to swap it on their own to reduce Synchrony's complaints. Maybe their relationship is going the way of Walmart/Synch relationship and we'll all be moved to PPCBMCs issued by Cap1 or Barclaycard.

I was thinking that announcing it was a good way to drive up last minute usage, earning swipes for Paypal.  And then continuing it.....  I think that's probably more inefficiency or some trouble (e.g. their script for auto removing the card as backup isn't quite working!)

Message 32 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe we all crashed the system, way to go team.

Message 33 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I think this is just PayPal dragging it out. Technical issues or otherwise. There’s no way that their relationship with Synchrony is going to fall apart when you’re talking about 3 different products - Extras, Cashback and PayPal Credit.

Walmart just wanted more control... which I don’t see why they think they will have more with Capital One but that’s a whole other thread. 

If it did sour though, I would be fine with Capital One taking over if they would give me transaction notifications. 😑

Message 34 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I think this is just PayPal dragging it out. Technical issues or otherwise. There’s no way that their relationship with Synchrony is going to fall apart when you’re talking about 3 different products - Extras, Cashback and PayPal Credit.

Walmart just wanted more control... which I don’t see why they think they will have more with Capital One but that’s a whole other thread. 

If it did sour though, I would be fine with Capital One taking over if they would give me transaction notifications. 😑

That point is exactly what I will hate most... The CBMC is my daily 2%... I want some notifications, at least using the PPBD, I got those. Removing the backup and having to use the MC straight is going to suck for those who like to get those notifications.

Message 35 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah making matters worse, I actually asked Sync about it and they said that PayPal specifically had them disabled on their accounts (if you ask the virtual assistant on the Sync portal how to set transaction alerts, she gives you the link but it doesn’t work) because they were going to implement their own. 

Well... it’s not happened. 

Message 36 of 70
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not quite fraud, no. MS is "legal" in a loophole sense, despite being seriously frowned upon. 

I did not say it is fraud for certain, but can be viewed as one (i.e. depends on the bank). Sorry if my word is incorrect. I'm thinking kinda like counting cards. Definitely something I would not risk doing.

Anyway, I also still have it in my account. I wish I did not SD my debit so I can try it out and not miss on the 1%! I may have to get it out of the SD and back to my wallet. It felt so wrong using my physical mastercard credit card.

Message 37 of 70
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I just used the PP debit/CBMC for online payments but with deadline I took the debit out of my SD and used it at Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart terminal asked if I wanted to do PIN or signature, so chose Sig. On PayPal it posted as pin, so no 1%, I think Wal-Mart is big enough they can force PIN for the lower tra,section fee.
Message 38 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart runs signature as pinless debit up until I think $50. After that, if you don't use a pin it gets ran as credit. They do this to keep from paying CC transaction fees, started a few years ago.
Message 39 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kroger does this too. A number of stores do.

Message 40 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.