Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Debit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paypal Debit

The only way I've found around this is to use contactless where available. They can't run it as pinless debit if you don't insert the chip, or you can try the magstrip (usually they're earmarked as chip cards and reject if the terminal can accept chips though.)
Message 41 of 70
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Ah, my tab was just under $100. Another good reason why I don't carry debit in my wallet.
Message 42 of 70
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I was thinking that announcing it was a good way to drive up last minute usage, earning swipes for Paypal.  And then continuing it.....  I think that's probably more inefficiency or some trouble (e.g. their script for auto removing the card as backup isn't quite working!)

I'm thinking that well could be it, PayPal doesn't have a script yet that can automatically remove tens of thousands of PayPal/eBay CCs as backup and they were hoping the email would get most to remove it on their own. Ha! They don't know us MyFico diehards!

Synchrony probably has the ability to decline any transaction labeled as "DEBIT CABACKUP", and may step up if PP doesn't.

Well good news for me is my CBMC statement cuts today, so if it's still working tomorrow I'll pay my mortgage early through Plastiq. 

Message 43 of 70
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I Really wish i could have taken part in PPCMC 2%    I am grandfathered into the Paypal Debit MC 1.5% Cash Back

Capture.PNG

Message 44 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already have the CBMC, go ahead and try setting it as the backup funding source. As of right now, it still works. If there's a chance they grandfather it, you'll want to get in. Also, want that 1.5%... tsk.
Message 45 of 70
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Well good news for me is my CBMC statement cuts today, so if it's still working tomorrow I'll pay my mortgage early through Plastiq. 

CBMC backup still working! Paid my mortgage via Plastiq, also paid my local CU CC $200 bill. Paying a CC with another CC can be a recipe for disaster, but naw, I pay all my CCs in full monthly but especially CBMC and with the 3% combo rewards I earn some pocket change over Plastiq's fee.

Message 46 of 70
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

^^

That's awesome.

Paying $1000 on plastiq will yield about $5. Not bad compared to nothing if you make a direct ACH.

Message 47 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Day 3 after doomsday... Business as usual. Everything is still fine on my end, reminds me I should buy a newer card reader for PPHere, I only have the mag swiper.
Message 48 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe we should all let this thread fizzle out so DoC doesn’t put a big article up that it’s still working and get it killed 😂 

Message 49 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Those of you that use Google Inbox would have been getting messages that it is going away April 2 (and switch to Gmail now).  I made the switch, and now wondering if I was too hasty!   Nah, my expectation is that Google is more precise than Paypal about dates.

Message 50 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.