Did you mean: 

Paypal Debit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paypal Debit

@DaveInAZ wrote:

ppdebit.jpg

Just to make sure they don't an auto script change on their end to a bank account

Yup did that a few minutes ago myself. 

Message 61 of 70
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Same here.  Remove my bank account at the announcement just in case of something of the sort. 

Message 62 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I set it back to my bank account just incase I HAVE to use debit if someone doesn't take credit. So I can use it instead of my actual bank debit card, and potentially still get 1% on spends. I just made sure to verify nothing is using it automatically anymore.

Edit: At least until my Discover cashback debit comes in.
Message 63 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Personally, I set it back to my bank account just incase I HAVE to use debit if someone doesn't take credit. So I can use it instead of my actual bank debit card, and potentially still get 1% on spends. I just made sure to verify nothing is using it automatically anymore.

Since you can’t turn off the debit card, if your number gets out somehow you’ve got a potentially huge mess to deal with. I would rather take 2 minutes to log into PayPal and set my bank account as the funding source if I actually have to use it. 

I mean after all, the first time I have actually needed a debit card in like three years was for my drivers license in January and then this collection I paid. 

Message 64 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least it gives immediate notifications if it gets used. Plus any charges go to pending, giving a couple days to report the card stolen and file disputes. The rare times I will be using it now, I don't see it as much risk. I'm not very lax when it comes to protecting my card info. I never hand it to anyone, I don't swipe it, I don't use it at any non-bank ATMs. If I can't do a chip purchase by my own hand, I use cash. I will use a check before I hand my debit card to a server, or through a drive through window. Course, this is only for times I can't use a CC. Also only until i get my discover cashback debit. Cause it has card controls and the same protections as their CC.

Edit: For me, still showing as a source, so until I need my debit card, I'll leave it there. Maybe, just maybe, I won't have to swap it over before I can SD it. Or, it can magically begin working again in the future, who knows.
Message 65 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit: At least until my Discover cashback debit comes in.

Looks like Discover 1% is limited to spend of $3000 a month.  Paypal is more generous!

Message 66 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I'm racking up $3000/mo I'm gonna be dropping it on a CC with a higher % Smiley Wink
Message 67 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If I'm racking up $3000/mo I'm gonna be dropping it on a CC with a higher % Smiley Wink

I was thinking more of my tax paying use case.   Using a debit card it's a $2.55 flat fee, with a credit card it's about 1.9%    Now my original expectation would be if they are running it as a debit you wouldn't get the 1%, so it only would make sense with the now dead backup payment stuff.   But according to the transaction history on paypal, both the payment and the flat fee were signature debit.   So for months with large tax payments, this is still worthwhile, and with a few of these over different processers some might do more than $3000 in a month.

But pretty niche!

Message 68 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, yeah that use would be relevant.
Message 69 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welp, lock down all the threads on it. They finally removed the CBMC from backup funding sources. They set it to "No backup" as default now.

Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.