Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Upgraded back in May - Age not transferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paypal Upgraded back in May - Age not transferred

Hello all, 

I tried searching for this but wasn't sure what string to use so I figured I would just ask. 

Pulled my quartlery report last week and see that my Paypal MC that twas "upgraded" back in May is still reporting opened in May. I had called the useless CS and explained that It should be backdated to 2006 when my SC was opened and they said it was supposed to be. My guess is I have been told incorrectly all the time and it won't be. 

So, here is the question. Is this the status quo where they upgrade your account, but really its just a open new and close old account? While I know the now closed PP SC account will remain on my report and show the 10yrs of perfect history, I now have a NEW account that frankly I didnt want. So even if I close it, I'll have a 6mo account on my report hurting my averages. 

Is this just something I have to deal with, or is there a strategy to get it back-dated? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Paypal Upgraded back in May - Age not transferred

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, 

I tried searching for this but wasn't sure what string to use so I figured I would just ask. 

Pulled my quartlery report last week and see that my Paypal MC that twas "upgraded" back in May is still reporting opened in May. I had called the useless CS and explained that It should be backdated to 2006 when my SC was opened and they said it was supposed to be. My guess is I have been told incorrectly all the time and it won't be. 

So, here is the question. Is this the status quo where they upgrade your account, but really its just a open new and close old account? While I know the now closed PP SC account will remain on my report and show the 10yrs of perfect history, I now have a NEW account that frankly I didnt want. So even if I close it, I'll have a 6mo account on my report hurting my averages. 

Is this just something I have to deal with, or is there a strategy to get it back-dated? 

I'm sorry to say that as far as I know, all upgrades with Synchrony result in a new account and the old account being closed.  Smiley Sad

If you close your new Paypal MasterCard at this point you would still have the new account (as well as the old) reporting for 10 years, so there's little point in doing so.

Message 2 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Did you have a PayPal Store Card (SC?) and it changed to a MasterCard? This will result in two separate accounts.

I've had an AMEX upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum, and that kept the same card number, same account history from 2013, but it's the same AMEX network in both cases.

I recently had BofA PC a MasterCard that has been open since 2001 on an Affiliation program, the affiliation program expired a few years ago, they PC'd the card to a plain MasterCard, the PC'd again to a 3-2-1 rewards card a few moths ago, keeping the same history, but always on the MC network.

I upgraded a Capital One Platinum card to a QS 1.5% card, but it remains a MC network card, same history since 2003.

I also had a store card, in the 2006 time frame, which was upgraded to a VISA, and two accounts resulted. Both still show up on my credit report, though both are closed.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 6
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Pretty much anything with Synchrony results in a new account.

lost card replacement-new account

card doesn't work any more-new account

upgrade-new account

all have happened to me or my wife.

some may have had better luck, but not moi.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:

Pretty much anything with Synchrony results in a new account.

lost card replacement-new account

card doesn't work any more-new account

upgrade-new account

all have happened to me or my wife.

some may have had better luck, but not moi.

Thank you, good to know.

My DW has a JCP card and I read that if they offer to upgrade the card it will be a new account, I didn't know it could happen with lost or not-working cards.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I'm sorry to say that as far as I know, all upgrades with Synchrony result in a new account and the old account being closed.  Smiley Sad

If you close your new Paypal MasterCard at this point you would still have the new account (as well as the old) reporting for 10 years, so there's little point in doing so.

Thanks UncleB, 

That is what I was afraid of. Kind of pisses me off. I only upgraded because I thought having the more universal version of the card (mastercard vs just Paypal SC) could be helpful if they ever offered any deals. Part of me feels swindled, and another should have known the reps on the phone had no idea what they talking about. 

Buyer beware, if you're not wanting to get a new account, dont upgrade anything w/Synchrony.....

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.