cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal credit: How long do you have to have a PayPal account open before you apply

tag
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Paypal credit: How long do you have to have a PayPal account open before you apply

Hi,

Just wondering how long you should have a paypal account open before being apply to apply and then use PayPal credit? I've been reading reviews and it seems like people who have newly opened PayPal account sometimes have trouble being able to use the new credit lines places they want to shop and get the run around when they call in. (I hear they have horrible customer service). Some say they site security issues for why it dosnt show up as a payment option or is declined. Most issues seem to be with newly opened accounts that haven't had much use yet.

any experiences with this? Has anyone opened a PayPal account for the purpose of applying for PayPal credit and did you have any problems? What were your SL? 

The other issue of complaints were the payments are applied. Are you only allowed to make the minimum or full payment? What happens if you pay half of your balance? Does sync now balance chase PPC like the store card? Which purchase does they payment go to?

Just want to make sure this is worth the hard pull ...the reviews kind of scared me. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Paypal credit: How long do you have to have a PayPal account open before you apply

Well, since Synchrony just took over PayPal Credit in July it's all pretty new and unsure how Synchrony will be different than Comenity for approvals, such as how long the PP account needs to be open, SL, etc. But I'm sure you can make any payment amount over the minimum payment, and I've read few reports of Syncvhrony balance chasing anyone, that seems to be more of a Barclays game, but then I've had Barclays since 2011 with no problems.

But if a HP concerns you I'm not sure PayPal Credit is the best choice for you. It's very limited where you can use it. I've had mine for over 10 years and rarely use it, just for a very occasional eBay purchase over $99 where the 6 months 0% deferred interest is nice. I much prefer my PayPal 2% cashback Mastercard that can be used anywhere and I use it alot when the spend category doesn't give me higher cashback with Boa, Amex or Discover. 

Message 2 of 6
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: Paypal credit: How long do you have to have a PayPal account open before you apply

@Bees18 wrote:

Hi,

Just wondering how long you should have a paypal account open before being apply to apply and then use PayPal credit? I've been reading reviews and it seems like people who have newly opened PayPal account sometimes have trouble being able to use the new credit lines places they want to shop and get the run around when they call in. (I hear they have horrible customer service). Some say they site security issues for why it dosnt show up as a payment option or is declined. Most issues seem to be with newly opened accounts that haven't had much use yet.

any experiences with this? Has anyone opened a PayPal account for the purpose of applying for PayPal credit and did you have any problems? What were your SL? 

The other issue of complaints were the payments are applied. Are you only allowed to make the minimum or full payment? What happens if you pay half of your balance? Does sync now balance chase PPC like the store card? Which purchase does they payment go to?

Just want to make sure this is worth the hard pull ...the reviews kind of scared me. 

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure where you heard "all of these negative issues" but that has not been my experienced. I started off with PPC under Comenity. Anywhere PayPal is accepted, I've been able to use my PPC line. 

Their payment processing is straight forward. Each statement cycle, a minimum payment is calculated. Payments in excess of the minimum go to the deferred interest plan that is the oldest (or in other words, the plan with the deferred interest expiration date that expires the earliest). I've never had PPC decline my payments, purchases or experienced in adverse action from paying more than the minmum of paying off the deferred interest plans sooner. 

I would really question if the issues people had was on their PAYPAL account and not the PPC account. At one point, I had to go through an additional process to verify my identity on a new PAYPAL account. This was not initiated by PPC and my PPC line was unaffected. 

Also, I've found the PPC customer service more friendly / helpful than mastercard customer service--I'm not saying the mastercard customer service is bad but I've had the PPC group go above and beyond the call of duty on a crazy purchase situation. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 3 of 6
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Namaste7 wrote:

@Bees18 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure where you heard "all of these negative issues" but that has not been my experienced. I started off with PPC under Comenity. Anywhere PayPal is accepted, I've been able to use my PPC line. 

Their payment processing is straight forward. Each statement cycle, a minimum payment is calculated. Payments in excess of the minimum go to the deferred interest plan that is the oldest (or in other words, the plan with the deferred interest expiration date that expires the earliest). I've never had PPC decline my payments, purchases or experienced in adverse action from paying more than the minmum of paying off the deferred interest plans sooner. 

I would really question if the issues people had was on their PAYPAL account and not the PPC account. At one point, I had to go through an additional process to verify my identity on a new PAYPAL account. This was not initiated by PPC and my PPC line was unaffected. 

Also, I've found the PPC customer service more friendly / helpful than mastercard customer service--I'm not saying the mastercard customer service is bad but I've had the PPC group go above and beyond the call of duty on a crazy purchase situation. 

I also was shocked to see all of these negative issues. I have had PayPal Credit for a little over 3 years, and I can say that I have had no issues whatsoever. I have had to call customer service one time, and they were very friendly and helpful. I make payments for more than the minimum all the time....I also have made numerous payments some months. I have never had any trouble using my line of credit and they have increased my limit many many times. 

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Had Paypal forever, have PPC and now PP MC never had an issue thankfully. But some peolle do which stinks.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have PP Credit since Aug 2016, started with 1K and they automatically increased the SL to 3K in 2 years. Also have PP MasterCard since beginning of this year. SL was 4K and now 7K. 

Both are straightforward and no hassles. Like the 0% for 12 months on $200 above on PP Credit and there's a promo going on now for 0% for 24 months if spent $600 or more in eBay....

Decent I'd summarize..

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.