Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal key for credit card payments

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Paypal key for credit card payments

I used Paypal key some weeks ago to generate a virtual credit card. It is much safer way to use credit card directly. I accidentally deleted the Paypal key and strangely, when I want to create a new one it gives a message "coming soon and check back later". So, it seems that this service is possibly for only one Paypal key per user or something like this.

Does anyone have this exerience? How should I be eligible again to create a Paypal key? Is there any other similar service by other financial businesses or banks?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
39 REPLIES 39
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

Re: Paypal key for credit card payments

I got that message for weeks, although I never had opened one. I contacted CSR, who told me they were still rolling out the product to some customers. On Reddit, the suggestions were, confirm and verify your email address, phone number(s), SSN, and sign up for Paypal Cash card. Apparently, after doing those different things, various people were able to get past the "check back later" and activate the Key. Personally, I tried all that, nothing doing. I finally decided to try to resurrect an old account of DW. Immediately when I tried to sign up for Paypal Key, it went through. We are now moving everything over to that account. It's weird and glitchy. Good luck

Message 2 of 40
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It looks to be a weird issue or algo bug. I was over the phone with them, not very conclusive discussions after ~20 min. They were telling that I need to wait for an invitation to receive the service. They also did not provide any details on the way that any person may receive an invitation and why a user with a possible prior invitation has to wait for another invitation.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 40
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

They're approving accounts everyday for Paypal Key. Try another account. 

Message 4 of 40
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I created another new account and no success Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 40
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I researched this topic and it seems that virtual credit card service is available also from Citi and Cap1 (Venture or Quicksilver card holders).

I do not have CC with Citi and Cap1 Walmart card is also not eligible Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 40
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I researched this topic and it seems that virtual credit card service is available also from Citi and Cap1 (Venture or Quicksilver card holders).

I do not have CC with Citi and Cap1 Walmart card is also not eligible Smiley Sad

I've generated a virtual card # with BoA as well.

As far as PP Key, I've only generated one virtual number but it was pretty easy and problem free. It seems the Key has been a thing for a while and I would think they'd have the bumps worked out of it by now?

Message 7 of 40
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

BOA stopped this service in Sep 2019. Only Citi and Cap1 provide it.

The issue appears when a person deletes the PP key (discussed also in several forums). Some people guess that it might be a beta product and due to the possible limited slots, the person might lose its slot after deleting the key (guesses and no confirmation or info from PP yet).

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

can anyone link to any threads what this paypal key is all about? ive been hearing it more and more around the internet

Message 9 of 40
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It is a service that allows to generate a virtual credit card number and it is possible to use it for payments online, over the phone or via apps like Samsung Pay at the checkout. In PP, this virtual card gets connected to any payment method that is set as preference (a real credit card, a checking account, etc). You can find several videos on YouTube.

I was using it a few times for payments over the phone for home miantenance costs (I do not like to tell my real CC info over the phone).

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.