Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal payment with AMEX

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Paypal payment with AMEX

I purchased something on ebay for about $400. The payment was sent with my AMEX through paypal. Everything went through just fine. The merchandise arrived no problem, and paypal says everything is complete. The last 4 digits of the credit card displayed by paypal line up with the last 4 digits of my card. Now here is the odd part, AMEX has no record of the transaction. They do not see it via customer service, and I do not see it online. This transaction was almost 2 weeks ago. The AMEX customer service person basically said, enjoy your free stuff. Such an odd occurrence.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Bobert22
Contributor

Re: Paypal payment with AMEX

It'll show up later on (most likely). It happened to me once with Discover card through PayPal. Eventually it was authorized and then charged on my credit card at a later time.
Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 2 of 17
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Oh that really sucks. Unexpected charges posting is never an enjoyable thing. They always seem to hit at the worst time. Smiley Frustrated

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 3 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

That's funny! I had a similar situation with Paypal last Friday. In my case, I noticed a $25 "merchandise adjustment sale' on my PayPal account on their website under my PayPal MC but the charge does NOT appear on my actual CC. Plus, I have not purchased anything for $25 either with PayPal or on my MC. So after calling PayPal, they couldn't see the charge either- but just to make sure they gave me a $25 credit and told me to monitor both accounts.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Message 4 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
That's funny! I had a similar situation with Paypal last Friday. In my case, I noticed a $25 "merchandise adjustment sale' on my PayPal account on their website under my PayPal MC but the charge does NOT appear on my actual CC. Plus, I have not purchased anything for $25 either with PayPal or on my MC. So after calling PayPal, they couldn't see the charge either- but just to make sure they gave me a $25 credit and told me to monitor both accounts.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No worries. Perfecty okay with a thread about the odd doings of paypal.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Bobert22 wrote:
It'll show up later on (most likely). It happened to me once with Discover card through PayPal. Eventually it was authorized and then charged on my credit card at a later time.

How much later?

I put the charge on the AMEX to meet intro spend requirements. I hope it posts before 4/12. I don't want to have to charge more than I need to on this card. The rewards are pretty sub-par. I would think for $450 a year, AMEX would offer better rewards. I guess to get rewards and benefits you need both the PRG and the Plat.

Message 6 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

The platinum isn't for the rewards, it's for the benefits! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

The platinum isn't for the rewards, it's for the benefits! 

Yup, that's why I'm trying to only charge the minimum $3k for the sign up bonus...but this floating transaction is making that difficult.

Don't want to screw up my 100k sign up offer :/

Message 8 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I would just spend an extra 400... I mean come on AMEX is giving you 100k points, you can let them earn some swipe fees and show them you're just not using them for the sign up bonus.

also it's not worth losing 100k points to spend 400$ on another card.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I would just spend an extra 400... I mean come on AMEX is giving you 100k points, you can let them earn some swipe fees and show them you're just not using them for the sign up bonus.

also it's not worth losing 100k points to spend 400$ on another card.

Yeah, I'll probably spend an extra grand just to be safe....but I'd rather not

I like using the card when I travel, so it will still get some usage outside of the sign up bonus.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.