cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@K-in-Boston wrote:

I can save up to $20 on TurboTax.  Still no offers.  Joined clean in May 2016 and have never received anything.  Really, I just want $500 CLIs on each of my cards because the $19,500 and $29,500 credit lines are annoying me.  There's no way I'm taking a HP for $1,000!


Well it’s blasphemous but you could always call and ask them for a CLD and tell them that your OCD is bothered by it. May end up working out with them giving you the extra $500 on each if you get a sympathetic rep lol. 


Scores 1/2019:
Scores 7/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 61 of 79
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals

I joined in Feb 2018. Unfortunately, right after they implemented limits on new members. I have one card with a $20k CL; a checking account with the minimum $500 to bump the rewards rate on the CC; and a mandatory savings account to join with like $80. I don't get any offers either.
I just opened another savings account with them that offers 2% APY. I'm going to park a few K in it to see if that helps with the offers. At least the savings rate is better than anything at my regular banks.

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | PenFed | SYNCB (PP 2%, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 62 of 79
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals

I tried to get in with them yesterday on a credit card application but the denial was using my Equifax from 11/1/18 when it was 110 points less at 580. Was wondering why I didn't see an alert for Equifax pull up. Weird to use that bureau pull though. Wonder if they would recon with a soft pull update?
Fico 8 Exp 598 Transunion 598 Equifax 596 (7/18/18)
FICO 8 Exp 609 TransUnion 622 Equifax 617 (8/10/18)
FICO 8 Exp 643 Equifax 641 Transunion 655 (9-10-18)
FICO 8 exp 630 Transunion 646 Equifax 627
Fico 8 Exp 646 Transunion 639 Equifax 640 (11/1/18)
Fico 8 Exp 698 Transunion 716 Equifax 690 (1/8/19)
Message 63 of 79
Moderator

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@pamon wrote:
I tried to get in with them yesterday on a credit card application but the denial was using my Equifax from 11/1/18 when it was 110 points less at 580. Was wondering why I didn't see an alert for Equifax pull up. Weird to use that bureau pull though. Wonder if they would recon with a soft pull update?

IIRC PenFed has always used Equifax. Recon would almost certainly be a HP to generate a new score for them, but likely well worth it if your score has changed that much.


Message 64 of 79
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@Meanmchine wrote:

fiCO(The only two times Ive ever gotten any offers, I had been running a balance.  Every quarter I PIFed, nothing. Fico9 atm 827

 

So in October I put a $250 charge on the card and have been paying it off $100 at a time. Chalk that idea up a waste of interest paid.

 

@olddude and @Peekeboo

In my book, it aint over til I get on the phone, ask to speak to a supervisor and immediately drop to the floor and prostrate myself before him


lol sign & smiley.gif   Meanie, it's very dangerous for me to read your posts (and Youngman's) in the morning.. 

Especially while drinking coffee.. LOL

 

 




Message 65 of 79
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals

I joined all most 2 years ago one baddie on EQ they show my Fico score as 770 one card limit $21500 all i see is Turbo Tax haven't had any offers since i been a member DW has a BK on file but they sent her a pre approved Check for $25K in October it's weird how they work.

Message 66 of 79
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals

Needed to call PenFed today anyway on another matter so while speaking to their agent, asked about their quarterly offers (which I did not get by the way with 761 FICO).

 

They told me that their process works essentially as follows:

  • They gather all of their member files
  • Then, they separately define/set criteria or a set of qualifying rules (e.g. such as score, DTI, etc.)
  • They send this information to Equifax
  • Equifax then sends them back details on which members meet criteria for pre-approvals

Again, this is just based on what one agent told me... It may be that others on this forum have more information about the nuances of their process or it's possible that the agent was flat out wrong.

 

They did also tell me that if were to get a new PenFed product (e.g. they open a new revolver), it's unlikely that they will get offers for about 6 months thereafter (not really surprising, I suppose; although also not sure if this is fully correct).

 

Of course, the above is not very telling or helpful to us who are scratching out heads today about why we did not get any pre-approvals...Smiley Frustrated

 

What I am trying to figure out is if, aside from basics such as minimum FICO, DTI, way too many recent inquiries, etc. there are specific diqualifying criteria for offers such as:

  • Not using PenFed for checking account
  • AoYA < 3 months
  • Or perhaps something like "member based on joining an organization"

Being an engineer at heart, I always try to reverse engineer things created by algorithms but I don't think one can really do anything here. Not enough data to work with... At least it's not like AMEX' "fairly" stable and predictable Experian FICO minimum cutoff of around 670-675 for their cards.

 

Thanks!!

Message 67 of 79
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@K-in-Boston wrote:

I can save up to $20 on TurboTax.  Still no offers.  Joined clean in May 2016 and have never received anything.  Really, I just want $500 CLIs on each of my cards because the $19,500 and $29,500 credit lines are annoying me.  There's no way I'm taking a HP for $1,000!


The TurboTax offer is not even a good deal 😩... @Penfed...at least make it deal worthy for Q1!!!

 

 

 

 

$mart $$$: #1 Pay myself first #2 Generate passive income #3 Minimize financing expenses
Garden Goal: Mortgage ready and below 5/24
Message 68 of 79
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@oldman87 wrote:
At this point, is it safe to assume logging in every 5 minutes is a waste of time?

Who told on me?

Last inquiry 31 January 19. Going for Gold!

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 69 of 79
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed 1Q Pre Approvals


@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Needed to call PenFed today anyway on another matter so while speaking to their agent, asked about their quarterly offers (which I did not get by the way with 761 FICO).

 

They told me that their process works essentially as follows:

  • They gather all of their member files
  • Then, they separately define/set criteria or a set of qualifying rules (e.g. such as score, DTI, etc.)
  • They send this information to Equifax
  • Equifax then sends them back details on which members meet criteria for pre-approvals

Again, this is just based on what one agent told me... It may be that others on this forum have more information about the nuances of their process or it's possible that the agent was flat out wrong.

 

They did also tell me that if were to get a new PenFed product (e.g. they open a new revolver), it's unlikely that they will get offers for about 6 months thereafter (not really surprising, I suppose; although also not sure if this is fully correct).

 

Of course, the above is not very telling or helpful to us who are scratching out heads today about why we did not get any pre-approvals...Smiley Frustrated

 

What I am trying to figure out is if, aside from basics such as minimum FICO, DTI, way too many recent inquiries, etc. there are specific diqualifying criteria for offers such as:

  • Not using PenFed for checking account
  • AoYA < 3 months
  • Or perhaps something like "member based on joining an organization"

Being an engineer at heart, I always try to reverse engineer things created by algorithms but I don't think one can really do anything here. Not enough data to work with... At least it's not like AMEX' "fairly" stable and predictable Experian FICO minimum cutoff of around 670-675 for their cards.

 

Thanks!!


Assuming that IS correct, it would explain why I got no offers... so thank you for that!  Smiley Happy

Last inquiry 31 January 19. Going for Gold!

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 70 of 79